Oct 16, 2012, 1:32 PM EST
The contract of Jays President and CEO Paul Beeston is expiring, but he’s not going anyplace. Shi Davidi reports that he and the Jays are hammering out an extension:
Paul Beeston will remain president and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays past the Oct. 31 expiration of his contract, as he and the club are believed to be working toward a two-year extension.
Beeston was the first ever employee of the Blue Jays from back in the expansion days and helmed the club for years. After a stint as Bud’s second-in-command with Major League Baseball, he returned to the Jays.
The coolest thing ever was when he was tasked with finding his successor in 2009, looked around for a while, couldn’t find anyone better and hired himself. Which was probably the right move.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)