Oct 16, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
The contract of Jays President and CEO Paul Beeston is expiring, but he’s not going anyplace. Shi Davidi reports that he and the Jays are hammering out an extension:
Paul Beeston will remain president and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays past the Oct. 31 expiration of his contract, as he and the club are believed to be working toward a two-year extension.
Beeston was the first ever employee of the Blue Jays from back in the expansion days and helmed the club for years. After a stint as Bud’s second-in-command with Major League Baseball, he returned to the Jays.
The coolest thing ever was when he was tasked with finding his successor in 2009, looked around for a while, couldn’t find anyone better and hired himself. Which was probably the right move.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)