Oct 17, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Two weeks ago Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported that the Marlins were “aggressively seeking a replacement for Ozzie Guillen” and, while Guillen got into a public spat with Olney, we even started speculating about where he might land post-firing.
Everything on the Guillen front has been calm since then and now Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald writes that he expects Guillen to remain the Marlins’ manager next season.
Though I have nothing concrete on which to base this on, it is my belief that as more time passes, the greater the likelihood Guillen keeps his job. Some others I’ve spoken with share the same sense. The rest of the coaching staff is another story, and I would not be surprised to see changes made there. Coaches are under contract only through the end of this month.
Guillen has three years remaining on his contract (to the tune of $7.5 million) and ditching him after one season might raise more questions about Loria’s acumen in hiring managers than it would Guillen’s ability to successfully manage a team. It becomes much more an indictment of Loria than it does of Guillen.
That sounds about right. Jeffrey Loria has gone through a ton of managers over the years, less than 12 months ago he thought Guillen was worth a four-year, $10 million commitment, and it’s not like Guillen’s behavior this season should have come as a huge shock to anyone who was paying attention during his eight years with the White Sox.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 6
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 32
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)