Oct 17, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Two weeks ago Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported that the Marlins were “aggressively seeking a replacement for Ozzie Guillen” and, while Guillen got into a public spat with Olney, we even started speculating about where he might land post-firing.
Everything on the Guillen front has been calm since then and now Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald writes that he expects Guillen to remain the Marlins’ manager next season.
Though I have nothing concrete on which to base this on, it is my belief that as more time passes, the greater the likelihood Guillen keeps his job. Some others I’ve spoken with share the same sense. The rest of the coaching staff is another story, and I would not be surprised to see changes made there. Coaches are under contract only through the end of this month.
Guillen has three years remaining on his contract (to the tune of $7.5 million) and ditching him after one season might raise more questions about Loria’s acumen in hiring managers than it would Guillen’s ability to successfully manage a team. It becomes much more an indictment of Loria than it does of Guillen.
That sounds about right. Jeffrey Loria has gone through a ton of managers over the years, less than 12 months ago he thought Guillen was worth a four-year, $10 million commitment, and it’s not like Guillen’s behavior this season should have come as a huge shock to anyone who was paying attention during his eight years with the White Sox.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)