Oct 17, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Two weeks ago Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported that the Marlins were “aggressively seeking a replacement for Ozzie Guillen” and, while Guillen got into a public spat with Olney, we even started speculating about where he might land post-firing.
Everything on the Guillen front has been calm since then and now Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald writes that he expects Guillen to remain the Marlins’ manager next season.
Though I have nothing concrete on which to base this on, it is my belief that as more time passes, the greater the likelihood Guillen keeps his job. Some others I’ve spoken with share the same sense. The rest of the coaching staff is another story, and I would not be surprised to see changes made there. Coaches are under contract only through the end of this month.
Guillen has three years remaining on his contract (to the tune of $7.5 million) and ditching him after one season might raise more questions about Loria’s acumen in hiring managers than it would Guillen’s ability to successfully manage a team. It becomes much more an indictment of Loria than it does of Guillen.
That sounds about right. Jeffrey Loria has gone through a ton of managers over the years, less than 12 months ago he thought Guillen was worth a four-year, $10 million commitment, and it’s not like Guillen’s behavior this season should have come as a huge shock to anyone who was paying attention during his eight years with the White Sox.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)