Oct 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
When the Yankees designated reliever Cory Wade for assignment last week I wrote that he could help quite a few teams as a bullpen option for 2013 and it turns out one of the other AL East teams agreed.
Toronto claimed Wade off waivers, presumably to give the 31-year-old right-hander a shot at winning a middle relief gig during spring training.
Wade had an ugly 6.46 ERA in 39 appearances for the Yankees this season, but posted a strong 38/8 K/BB ratio in 39 innings and was very good last year with a 2.04 ERA and 30/8 K/BB ratio in 40 frames.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 78
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (143)