Oct 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EST
When the Yankees designated reliever Cory Wade for assignment last week I wrote that he could help quite a few teams as a bullpen option for 2013 and it turns out one of the other AL East teams agreed.
Toronto claimed Wade off waivers, presumably to give the 31-year-old right-hander a shot at winning a middle relief gig during spring training.
Wade had an ugly 6.46 ERA in 39 appearances for the Yankees this season, but posted a strong 38/8 K/BB ratio in 39 innings and was very good last year with a 2.04 ERA and 30/8 K/BB ratio in 40 frames.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)