Oct 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
When the Yankees designated reliever Cory Wade for assignment last week I wrote that he could help quite a few teams as a bullpen option for 2013 and it turns out one of the other AL East teams agreed.
Toronto claimed Wade off waivers, presumably to give the 31-year-old right-hander a shot at winning a middle relief gig during spring training.
Wade had an ugly 6.46 ERA in 39 appearances for the Yankees this season, but posted a strong 38/8 K/BB ratio in 39 innings and was very good last year with a 2.04 ERA and 30/8 K/BB ratio in 40 frames.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)