Oct 17, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
When the Yankees designated reliever Cory Wade for assignment last week I wrote that he could help quite a few teams as a bullpen option for 2013 and it turns out one of the other AL East teams agreed.
Toronto claimed Wade off waivers, presumably to give the 31-year-old right-hander a shot at winning a middle relief gig during spring training.
Wade had an ugly 6.46 ERA in 39 appearances for the Yankees this season, but posted a strong 38/8 K/BB ratio in 39 innings and was very good last year with a 2.04 ERA and 30/8 K/BB ratio in 40 frames.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)