Oct 17, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
There’s been speculation for the past few weeks that Bob Brenly might leave the WGN booth for an opening as a broadcaster for the Diamondbacks.
And it appears we’re indeed headed that way.
According to ESPNChicago.com, Brenly informed the Cubs on Wednesday that he will not be back in 2013 and will “seek another baseball broadcasting position.” As in, the one in Phoenix, Arizona.
The 59-year-old Brenly, who had been with WGN since 2004, won a World Series as manager of the Diamondbacks in 2001. He was in the team’s broadcast booth for their debut season in 1998.
“Bob Brenly was a tremendous part of the Chicago Cubs broadcast team for eight years and we will miss his smart analysis, as well as his outgoing personality in the broadcast booth,” Cubs president of business operations Crane Kenney wrote in a statement. “We wish him all the best in his future endeavors.”
Brenly’s former partner at WGN, Len Kasper, offered support about an hour ago on Twitter:
I wish BB the best. INCREDIBLY fortunate to have worked 8 yrs w/him. His next partner hit jackpot. Sad for us. Change is part of life/biz.
— Len Kasper (@LenKasper) October 17, 2012
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)