Oct 17, 2012, 10:49 PM EDT
It took over six hours — due to a rain delay that lasted more than three — but the Cardinals topped the Giants by a score of 3-1 on Wednesday evening in Game 3 of the NLCS at a wet Busch Stadium.
Cardinals right-hander Kyle Lohse was far from sharp, yielding seven hits and a season-high five walks, but the Giants failed to capitalize on multiple scoring chances and the St. Louis bullpen was again reliable. Jason Motte recorded a two-inning save, needing only 19 pitches to blow through the back and front ends of the punchless San Francisco batting order.
Matt Carpenter hit a third-inning two-run homer after coming in for the injured Carlos Beltran and outfielder Shane Robinson drove in the Cardinals’ third run on an RBI groundout in the bottom of the seventh.
Giants starter Matt Cain was pulled with two outs in the seventh — just before the rain struck — after allowing six hits and one walk. He struck out only two, matching his lowest strikeout total of the season.
The Cardinals will try to push ahead 3-1 in this best-of-seven series when Adam Wainwright squares off against Tim Lincecum in Game 4 on Thursday night. Beltran has a knee strain but might be able to play.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)