Carlos Quentin is planning to get into the Best Shape Of His Life

Oct 17, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

carlos quentin getty Getty Images

We’re months away from tracking all the “Best Shape Of His Life” players, but here’s a new twist: Carlos Quentin is planning to get into the Best Shape Of His Life this offseason.

Quentin played just 86 games this season due knee problems that required one surgery in March and another surgery two weeks ago. And now the Padres outfielder told Corey Brock of MLB.com that he’s going to get into better shape, lose weight, and stay healthy next year:

Some of it will be training, some rest and some weight loss. It will all be geared to staying on the field. I liked my weight when I came in. But when you have a surgery, especially with your lower half, you can’t do the extra work you want to do. I had to limit that greatly.

Given the circumstances of my knee, I think a lighter weight will be beneficial to me. My best year in Chicago, I was around 230. This year, I was in the 240′s. It doesn’t seem like that much, but over a season, it takes a toll. Hopefully my durability will return.

Sounds like a solid plan, although it’s worth noting that Quentin has never really had “durability” in the first place. Even before missing half of this season he missed 44, 31, 63, and 32 games during the previous four seasons and has never played more than 131 games in a year. If anything he’s been one of the least durable outfielders in baseball. But when healthy Quentin has always been productive, which is why the Padres are helping him with the weight loss effort after signing him to a three-year, $27 million extension.

1. illcomm - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

another round of bsotl. this is just silly.

2. cur68 - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yay! BSOHL post! More BSOHL, please. BSOHL means regular season baseball (no one ever gets into BSHOL for the playoffs. I wonder why?). I heart regular season baseball.

• natstowngreg - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

First name for this off-season’s BSOHL list.

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Greg: someone wants to speak with you near (what is currently) the bottom of this page.

• natstowngreg - Oct 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM

?

• 18thstreet - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I think this is breaking new ground. Quentin is not presently in the best shape of his life, but he will be.

What a moment.

• natstowngreg - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Good point. Perhaps we could include him on the BSOHL list with an asterisk, to denote his plan to get into BSOHL status.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM

We need a different symbol besides the asterisk. Maybe a $? or %?

3. theawesomersfranchise - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Is it that time of year when I unsubscribe to everyone here because of “BSOTL” something that jumped the shark a long time ago?

When I stop coming to the site to read garbage because bloggers are not creative enough to write something new and creative? Because they beat a dead horse and find it hilarious? Kinda like when total losers and geeks find something that isn’t funny anymore, TOTALLY funny and keep doing it because they think any all and meme is just awesome?

Is it that time again already? Just say so please so I can go and delete all the bloggers here for 8 months

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

“So.” See ya.

PS: The phrase “jumped the shark” jumped the shark about 6, 7 months ago.

• The Common Man - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Or you can get a grip and just not read those articles for the next few months. But then I know which one of those options I’m rooting for.

• sportsdrenched - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

If you’re not down with BSOHL stories, that’s on you, not us.

(is being “down” with something “jumped the shark”? A prehistoic shark because it should be extict?)

• b7p19 - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

See you later alligator

• zzalapski - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Don’t let the door hit your ass on your way out.

What else would we do in February and March, follow hockey? OH, WAIT

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I recommend you get in the BestShapeOfYourLife prior to attempting any Shark Jumping.

4. albertmn - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

So, somebody tracked all of the BSOHL players last Spring. Has anyone done any analysis to see how those player performed this year? That would be very interesting to see.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3424)