Oct 17, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
We’re months away from tracking all the “Best Shape Of His Life” players, but here’s a new twist: Carlos Quentin is planning to get into the Best Shape Of His Life this offseason.
Quentin played just 86 games this season due knee problems that required one surgery in March and another surgery two weeks ago. And now the Padres outfielder told Corey Brock of MLB.com that he’s going to get into better shape, lose weight, and stay healthy next year:
Some of it will be training, some rest and some weight loss. It will all be geared to staying on the field. I liked my weight when I came in. But when you have a surgery, especially with your lower half, you can’t do the extra work you want to do. I had to limit that greatly.
Given the circumstances of my knee, I think a lighter weight will be beneficial to me. My best year in Chicago, I was around 230. This year, I was in the 240’s. It doesn’t seem like that much, but over a season, it takes a toll. Hopefully my durability will return.
Sounds like a solid plan, although it’s worth noting that Quentin has never really had “durability” in the first place. Even before missing half of this season he missed 44, 31, 63, and 32 games during the previous four seasons and has never played more than 131 games in a year. If anything he’s been one of the least durable outfielders in baseball. But when healthy Quentin has always been productive, which is why the Padres are helping him with the weight loss effort after signing him to a three-year, $27 million extension.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)