Oct 17, 2012, 11:56 PM EST
No, the Yankees probably weren’t beating the Tigers four times in five days either. Still, Wednesday’s rainout made the assignment that much tougher.
– Because they’re playing four games in four days, the Yankees have lost the ability to pitch Game 4 starter CC Sabathia on three days’ rest in Game 7. At best, he’ll be available for a couple of innings out of the pen. Their Game 7 options would be Phil Hughes and his achy back, David Phelps, Derek Lowe or perhaps someone not on the roster. They’d have the option of disabling Hughes and activating Ivan Nova, though that would mean losing Hughes for the World Series.
– The Tigers, on the other hand, suffer from no such problems there. Their Game 4 starter, Max Scherzer, wasn’t a candidate to come back and pitch later in the series. Justin Verlander would start Game 7 on four days’ rest.
– One of the things that makes it more difficult to reel off a winning streak in the postseason is that teams often have to use up their quality relievers to get their wins. In Games 3 and 4 against the Orioles, the Yankees had Rafael Soriano throw 3 1/3 innings and David Robertson throw three innings. They may well need similar efforts from those two if they hope to win Games 4 and 5 against the Tigers. Now with no days off between Games 5 and 6, the Yankees will likely head back to New York with a tired pen if they do somehow manage to survive.
– Detroit’s pen, on the other hand, just earned a day off for unexpected ace in Phil Coke. Coke said he’d be ready to go tonight regardless, but after throwing 3 2/3 innings the previous four days, he probably needed the little break.
OK, so that’s pretty minor. The Game 7 issue looks like a backbreaker, though.If they could find out a way to eke out wins the next two days, the Yankees’ chances wouldn’t have looked so bad with Hiroki Kuroda and Sabathia back in the Bronx. Instead, it’d now be TBA versus Verlander.
Feb 1, 2015, 2:37 PM EST
Zack Greinke is allowed to opt out of his six-year, $146 million contract with the Dodgers after the 2015 season. In doing that, the right-hander would be leaving three years and $77 million on the table but …
Feb 1, 2015, 1:13 PM EST
Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Harrison has put off moving his throwing program from 90 feet to out 105 feet because he is experiencing tightness in his right hip.
Feb 1, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes in his weekly Sunday notes column that Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson — who’s getting set to take on the Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX tonight on NBC — is planning to spend some time in camp this spring with the Texas Rangers.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:32 AM EST
The 37-year-old will likely have to settle for a minor league contract. He’d then have to earn a roster spot.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EST
Here is some great video from Ernie Banks’ memorial service Saturday in Chicago …
Jan 31, 2015, 11:25 PM EST
Meghan King Edmonds and Katie Chadwick Hamilton, the wives of Jim and Josh respectively, will appear on the tenth season of The Real Housewives of Orange County.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Brandon Workman will enter spring training as a reliever, attempting to grab a scarce spot at the back of the Red Sox bullpen.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:50 PM EST
The Padres are still interested in Phillies ace Cole Hamels, though they may not be able to put together an enticing enough deal to attain him.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
The Braves may have pawned off many of their productive players, but Freddie Freeman still thinks they’ll compete in 2015.
Jan 31, 2015, 8:10 PM EST
Jayson Werth signed an inmate handbook for someone during his stay in jail in Fairfax, Virginia.
Jan 31, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Ernie Banks, who played 19 seasons in the major leagues, made an enormous impact on the game of baseball. That has been evident in the wonderful stories that have been shared over the last week.
Jan 31, 2015, 6:05 PM EST
The Rays added some depth, signing reliever Ronald Belisario on Saturday. It appears they’ll be adding infielder Alexi Casilla as well.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
Baxter appeared in four games with the Dodgers last season and owns a .225/.331/.342 batting line in the majors. He’ll always be aces with Mets fans, though.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Richards emerged as one of the best pitchers in the American League last season before tearing his left patellar tendon in August.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EST
Hendrickson turned 40 last June and hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011, but he still hopes to continue his playing career.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Padres general manager A.J. Preller has been very active on the trade front this offseason, but he might not be done yet.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
Orioles slugger Chris Davis was on hand for the team’s annual FanFest today and opened up about the 25-game Adderall suspension which put an end to his disappointing 2014 campaign and left him on the sidelines during the playoffs.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:40 PM EST
The Brewers remain in the market for a closer, but trade talks for Papelbon don’t have much momentum at the moment.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:25 AM EST
Aardsma pitched exclusively in the Cardinals minor league system last year, but he’s hoping to get back on the radar in 2015.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
While MLB still needs to give their approval, it appears that Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada is one step closer to finally signing with a team.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)