Oct 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Jake Westbrook was left off the Cardinals’ playoff roster for the NLDS and NLCS, but the veteran right-hander is continuing to throw on the side in case he’s needed as an injury replacement.
Westbrook threw a 49-pitch simulated game yesterday, telling reporters afterward: “I’m ready to go, without a doubt. I feel strong in saying that, especially the way today went.”
Westbrook logged 175 innings with a 3.97 ERA during the regular season and worse pitchers have started games in this year’s playoffs, but he hasn’t seen game action since suffering a strained oblique muscle on September 8.
When the Cardinals needed an injury replacement for Jaime Garcia they chose rookie Shelby Miller, but Westbrook is in the mix in case St. Louis advances past San Francisco and wants to adjust the roster for the World Series.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 30
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)