Oct 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Jake Westbrook was left off the Cardinals’ playoff roster for the NLDS and NLCS, but the veteran right-hander is continuing to throw on the side in case he’s needed as an injury replacement.
Westbrook threw a 49-pitch simulated game yesterday, telling reporters afterward: “I’m ready to go, without a doubt. I feel strong in saying that, especially the way today went.”
Westbrook logged 175 innings with a 3.97 ERA during the regular season and worse pitchers have started games in this year’s playoffs, but he hasn’t seen game action since suffering a strained oblique muscle on September 8.
When the Cardinals needed an injury replacement for Jaime Garcia they chose rookie Shelby Miller, but Westbrook is in the mix in case St. Louis advances past San Francisco and wants to adjust the roster for the World Series.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)