Oct 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Jake Westbrook was left off the Cardinals’ playoff roster for the NLDS and NLCS, but the veteran right-hander is continuing to throw on the side in case he’s needed as an injury replacement.
Westbrook threw a 49-pitch simulated game yesterday, telling reporters afterward: “I’m ready to go, without a doubt. I feel strong in saying that, especially the way today went.”
Westbrook logged 175 innings with a 3.97 ERA during the regular season and worse pitchers have started games in this year’s playoffs, but he hasn’t seen game action since suffering a strained oblique muscle on September 8.
When the Cardinals needed an injury replacement for Jaime Garcia they chose rookie Shelby Miller, but Westbrook is in the mix in case St. Louis advances past San Francisco and wants to adjust the roster for the World Series.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy