Oct 17, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
Sorry, but I can’t get enough of members of the Yankees commentariat trying to outdo one another to draw the broadest, most dramatic conclusions from the results of three games. It’s great fun.
The latest is Ian O’Connor of ESPN New York who uses the Yankees’ ALCS meltdown to help us identify who are and who are not True Yankees. Which is an exercise that I didn’t think anyone was still doing, but whatever:
Rodriguez spent the night in a gray hooded sweat jacket, chewing sunflower seeds in the dugout, and he could be finished as a Yankee. The dynastic holdovers — Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte – all suffered serious leg injuries in their advanced age, and the team’s best in-his-prime player, Cano, is a room-temperature star lacking that unbreakable Jeter/Rivera/Pettitte drive.
Even with two wild cards there to cushion the fall, this could be the beginning of the end of the Yankees as we knew them. CC Sabathia, one of the few Yanks cut from the dynasty makers’ mold, surely will put up a fight Wednesday night, but what’s the point?
- I have a totally non-ironic love for O’Connor’s use of the phrase “room temperature” here to describe Cano. I assume he means it as a synonym for death (i.e. he has assumed room temperature) and as a fan of pulp detective fiction and film noir, that just pushes all of my buttons;
- Say what you want about the greatness of Jeter, Pettitte and Rivera, but calling anything about those three “unbreakable” this year is counterfactual; and
- Anyone know why Sabathia is “cut from the dynasty makers’ mold?” It can’t be because he’s part of a dynasty, can it, because he’s still got just the one ring. It’s almost as if being cut from that mold means “not stinking at the particular moment at which I am writing this column.”
Oh well. Only a few more hours to read this kind of stuff until the next game. If they lose, there will be even graver post-mortems. If they win there will no doubt be some more True Yankees to discuss.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)