What do the rock stars think about the AL MVP debate?

Oct 17, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Handsome Dick Manitoba

Everyone else has an opinion. Why not folks like George Thorogood, Scott Ian and Pete Yorn? Dan Epstein continues to his Rolling Stone series in which he asks baseball fan musicians their thoughts on the great issues of the day.

And who knew that Handsome Dick Manitoba was a stathead trapped in his mother’s basement?

For the AL, it’s Trout. F**k the Triple Crown/automatic MVP bulls**t. Cabrera is 100 percent of 50 percent of a baseball player – all offense. Baseball is hitting and fielding, and running and throwing don’t hurt either! Trout is a young five-tool phenom. His everyday centerfield playing, and arm, and base running, and speed, and great hitting are much more valuable than a bunch of extra RBI and HR’s.

Kinda sad to see that a couple of the usual interviewees have dropped out. I’m assuming Detroit guy Alice Cooper would have picked Cabrera, but I’d really like to see his analysis.

1. cur68 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Handsome Dick’s still alive? Thank you, and thank Jobu (god of baseball), for this update on Dick Manitoba. I’m glad to know he’s still around. Still around and AWESOME.

Yes. I live under a rock.

• deadeyedesign23 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

If you’re ever in NY you should drop by his bar Manitoba’s. He’s there all the time.

• natocoles - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Manitoba’s is great, lots of cool baseball/rock’n’roll stuff on the walls. It’s probably the last best hope for the East Village.

• deadeyedesign23 - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Love Manitoba’s. That and Otto’s Shrunken Head are my bars down there. But yeah the East Village is a mess these days for the most part.

2. Lukehart80 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

That has done NOTHING to make me want to buy anything from The Baseball Project, but I guess I’d better expand my knowledge of Pantera’s work.

3. goawaydog - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Years ago I got to see the Dictators in NYC. Handsome Dick brought out 2 suitcases full of white castle hamburgers which he threw into the crowd causing the best food fight I have ever been involved in. Nothing like flying hamburgers with a punk rock soundtrack.

4. natocoles - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Mike Trout: Young, Fast, and Sabermetric! Who cares about the Three-Crown Man? DFFD!

5. hdmkom - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Hey, everyone..Handsome Dick Manitoba here!..Thank you for spelling my name correctly!..I’M ALIVE!..and thriving, I might add…Her’s my SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION!:

MANITOBA’S BAR
    99 Ave. B, NYC
    Almost 14 years in business…Helping keep OUR culture alive

DJ/HOST
    The Handsome Dick Manitoba Radio Program, Little Steven’s Underground Garage, Sirius XM Radio, Ch. 21, Mon.>Fri. 8:00PM-12:00 AM, ET (8 years!)

MANITOBA (BAND) 1 year…Me, Ross The Boss, Thunderbolt Patterson (3 Dictators) joined by Ramones producer, songwriter, all around great guy/guitar player, Daniel Rey, and ex-Murphy’s Law, amazing bass player, Dean “The Dream’ Rispler!

On top of all this, I have a lovely Wife and 9 year old son…Whew!..I’m fuckin’ TIRED!

• tmohr - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I love how the Manitoba’s site lists Goose Island as an import. I guess it is true about New York and Chicago.

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Apparently Handsome Dick reads HBT.

Hey Handsome Dick. Glad you’re still alive. Next time I’m in New York I’ll drop by. I’ll be the Canadian guy with the map, Beaver Men logo’d clothing and the map asking for directions to Gotham.

Oh, and since you’re plugging things can you plug a plea for an edit function for our posts, please? We could all use one (as I’m sure you noticed about 5 seconds after you posted this).
      Cheers.

6. mook1987 - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM

this just in from Nancy Kerrigan:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!???????

7. Gobias Industries - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Wake me up when former Dokken bassist Jeff Pilson casts his vote. Until then, none of this matters.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Jeff Pilson’s vote pales in comparison to Don Dokken’s vote. He’s the front man after all.

• kalinedrive - Oct 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I saw Dokken’s bass player break his bass on stage in Toledo back in the early 80s. Not on purpose like a Pete Townshend smashathon, he was just down on his knees and banged it on the stage and the neck broke. I think he was bummed.

• kalinedrive - Oct 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Then again, it might have been the lead guitar. It was the 80s, I might have been under the influence of something, and I wasn’t really there to see Dokken. I’m not even sure who else was on that ticket. Donny Iris, Aldo Nova, Red Ryder, J. Geils? It’s all a blur.

8. dexterismyhero - Oct 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

If Elvis could tell us his favorite it would be greatly muffled by all the dirt on top of him…….

9. metalhead65 - Oct 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM

who is handsome dick?

10. natstowngreg - Oct 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Of course Alice Cooper is for Cabrera. He’s Old School.

• sophiethegreatdane - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I thought school was out for evah?

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS