Oct 18, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
While I take issue with the reporting of the role that the flirting business is playing in A-Rod’s benching, I don’t take issue with the chorus of voices speculating that A-Rod is on his way out of town. I mean, if I’m the Yankees I try to give him a healthy spring to see what he has in the tank for 2013, but it would not shock me at all if he was shopped this offseason.
Others feel this way too. And in addition to talking about a Yankees future without Rodriguez, they’re doing a good job of scrubbing the past clean of him as well.
Take Mike Lupica, for instance, who is doing God’s work in correcting the record so that the Fail-Rod narrative can be applied without complication once he’s gone:
Alex Rodriguez is not Reggie Jackson no matter how many home runs he has hit, on or off steroids, and even though he was Mr. October 2009 once. You look back on it now, on that October, in light of what happened for him in the postseason before that and after, if he made some kind of “Damn Yankees” deal with the devil, even though he was playing for the Yankees at the time.
Now he has become the damned Yankee, and it is why he is gone when this season is over.
Got that? 2009 didn’t happen. It was Satan at work, and thus there is no need to think of Rodriguez as ever being a good player in pinstripes. Now, where is my airbrush so that I can take him out of all of the photos …
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 0
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)