Oct 18, 2012, 6:42 PM EST
Max Scherzer was pulled for left-hander Drew Smyly with two on and two outs in the top of the sixth inning, so Joe Girardi called on Alex Rodriguez to pinch-hit for Raul Ibanez. However, there was no redemption to be found.
Rodriguez hit a routine fly ball to center field to strand two runners and leave the score at 6-1 going into the bottom of the sixth in Game 4 of the ALCS.
The Yankees have just two hits on the day so far. They were held hitless until Eduardo Nunez led off the top of the sixth with a triple to the left-center field gap. He was then brought home on a one-out double to right-center by Nick Swisher. Scherzer issued a two-out walk to Mark Teixeira before being pulled to a standing ovation at Comerica Park. He struck out 10 and threw a total of 98 pitches.
Things are looking bleak for the Bombers at the moment, but the Tigers will need to rely on their bullpen to secure the sweep and advance to the World Series.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)