Oct 18, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Max Scherzer was pulled for left-hander Drew Smyly with two on and two outs in the top of the sixth inning, so Joe Girardi called on Alex Rodriguez to pinch-hit for Raul Ibanez. However, there was no redemption to be found.
Rodriguez hit a routine fly ball to center field to strand two runners and leave the score at 6-1 going into the bottom of the sixth in Game 4 of the ALCS.
The Yankees have just two hits on the day so far. They were held hitless until Eduardo Nunez led off the top of the sixth with a triple to the left-center field gap. He was then brought home on a one-out double to right-center by Nick Swisher. Scherzer issued a two-out walk to Mark Teixeira before being pulled to a standing ovation at Comerica Park. He struck out 10 and threw a total of 98 pitches.
Things are looking bleak for the Bombers at the moment, but the Tigers will need to rely on their bullpen to secure the sweep and advance to the World Series.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)