Oct 18, 2012, 6:42 PM EST
Max Scherzer was pulled for left-hander Drew Smyly with two on and two outs in the top of the sixth inning, so Joe Girardi called on Alex Rodriguez to pinch-hit for Raul Ibanez. However, there was no redemption to be found.
Rodriguez hit a routine fly ball to center field to strand two runners and leave the score at 6-1 going into the bottom of the sixth in Game 4 of the ALCS.
The Yankees have just two hits on the day so far. They were held hitless until Eduardo Nunez led off the top of the sixth with a triple to the left-center field gap. He was then brought home on a one-out double to right-center by Nick Swisher. Scherzer issued a two-out walk to Mark Teixeira before being pulled to a standing ovation at Comerica Park. He struck out 10 and threw a total of 98 pitches.
Things are looking bleak for the Bombers at the moment, but the Tigers will need to rely on their bullpen to secure the sweep and advance to the World Series.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)