Oct 18, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Max Scherzer was pulled for left-hander Drew Smyly with two on and two outs in the top of the sixth inning, so Joe Girardi called on Alex Rodriguez to pinch-hit for Raul Ibanez. However, there was no redemption to be found.
Rodriguez hit a routine fly ball to center field to strand two runners and leave the score at 6-1 going into the bottom of the sixth in Game 4 of the ALCS.
The Yankees have just two hits on the day so far. They were held hitless until Eduardo Nunez led off the top of the sixth with a triple to the left-center field gap. He was then brought home on a one-out double to right-center by Nick Swisher. Scherzer issued a two-out walk to Mark Teixeira before being pulled to a standing ovation at Comerica Park. He struck out 10 and threw a total of 98 pitches.
Things are looking bleak for the Bombers at the moment, but the Tigers will need to rely on their bullpen to secure the sweep and advance to the World Series.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (108)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (96)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team