Oct 18, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
The Yankees have been ousted from the postseason, but the saga of Alex Rodriguez continues.
Rodriguez told Peter Botte of the New York Daily News after today’s loss to the Tigers that he has no plans to waive his no-trade clause and intends to return to the Yankees next season.
“That’s correct. I will be back. I have a lot to prove.”
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported this morning that while Rodriguez wouldn’t request a trade, he also wouldn’t stand in the way of a deal to another large-market team. Meanwhile, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported this afternoon that the Marlins and Dodgers “thus far seem far less than anxious to acquire” Rodriguez. Of course, a lot can change over the course of the offseason and we’re just getting started.
After posting a career-low .783 OPS in 122 games during the regular season, Rodriguez went 3-for-25 (.120) with 12 strikeouts during the postseason and lost playing time and at-bats to the likes of Eric Chavez and Raul Ibanez. The 37-year-old is still owed $114 million over the next five seasons, so the Yankees would likely have to cover a significant portion of his contract in order to make a deal feasible.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)