Alex Rodriguez says he has no plans to waive no-trade clause

Oct 18, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Getty Images

The Yankees have been ousted from the postseason, but the saga of Alex Rodriguez continues.

Rodriguez told Peter Botte of the New York Daily News after today’s loss to the Tigers that he has no plans to waive his no-trade clause and intends to return to the Yankees next season.

“That’s correct. I will be back. I have a lot to prove.”

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported this morning that while Rodriguez wouldn’t request a trade, he also wouldn’t stand in the way of a deal to another large-market team. Meanwhile, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported this afternoon that the Marlins and Dodgers “thus far seem far less than anxious to acquire” Rodriguez. Of course, a lot can change over the course of the offseason and we’re just getting started.

After posting a career-low .783 OPS in 122 games during the regular season, Rodriguez went 3-for-25 (.120) with 12 strikeouts during the postseason and lost playing time and at-bats to the likes of Eric Chavez and Raul Ibanez. The 37-year-old is still owed $114 million over the next five seasons, so the Yankees would likely have to cover a significant portion of his contract in order to make a deal feasible.

1. xmatt0926x - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I don’t think there are too many disappointed teams out there. Even if some of his poor play is due to his injured hand, he is 37. How much upswing can there be at this point?

2. cablelayer - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Maybe they can utilize him in the stadium clean up crew after games.

3. proudlycanadian - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The contract is still valid even if he does not play another game. If he can’t contribute anymore, the Yankees have the option of simply paying him the money and releasing him.

4. clownsfan - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

It would be worth the $114 mil just to make him go away.

5. steelerchicken - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The Pirates could use a player at third

• xavier46 - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:27 AM

No, El Toro…

6. jprcox - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Its staggering to consider what the Yankees did with the ARod contract….how how poor a decision that was. Yanks will pick up 60-80m of the 5 year deal for a player that has played so-so….and who’s fans don’t even like him very much.

If you put the 60-80m of cost in the past few years it makes it so NY has paid ARod nearly $40m a year. Whoever thought of that contract should be fired.

• djpostl - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That’s why Hank Steinbrenner isn’t in charge now. Was an idiotic move by him to make this happen.

• johnchesterny - Oct 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Hank is the Fredo of the Steinbrenner Family.

• djpostl - Oct 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Indeed.

7. pisano - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

If he’s smart he’ll ask to be traded, because if he’s in N.Y. when the season starts, it won’t be pretty for him. He’s the new whipping boy in the Bronx.

8. bigjimatch - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

No one is taking Arod from the Yankees, they just need to deal with it. Good news is the Yanks don’t have to worry about paying all of those “milestone” record bonuses.

• teaspoon1731 - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I imagine somewhere out there there is a team willing to pick him up for a year, especially with the Yankees picking up most of the tab. However, I can’t imagine Arod being willing to play for any team that would be willing to take him.

• Old Gator - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I figger as long as they weren’t going to go out and find a practicing third baseman anyway, or at least not one for whom they would have been willing to trade Tweeter yet again, there would have been no harm in the Feesh posting a graying eminence like A-Roid at the not-corner next season. Certainly not if the Borg are willing to pay his ridiculous salary for them. Maybe if we blow out vulvazoolas really hard, the lwa will hear us and collaborate.

9. fuddpucker - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM

It’s pretty simple. A-Rod is off the juice because his money is guaranteed. I don’t think he’s that stupid or that proud to get all juiced up again just to prove a point. I don’t even think Miami will take him because a has been A-Rod won’t budge up the attendance one bit. Still, Miami could basically get him for free so who knows?

My best guess is that A-Rod will be back in NY next year, if he’s not juiced up they’ll platoon him with somebody else. He’s already got the money, he’s D O N E.

10. serbingood - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

For the sake of this example only, let’s let the tax cuts expire at the end of 2012. On 1/7/13 pay Alex his $114 million at the new tax rate of 33% instead of the present 28%. The difference between the two is something like $570,000. A-Rod could be responsible for a $570,000 reduction in the National Debt. Something good could come of a buy out. I wonder if the Yankees consider him a commodity like a desk or computer and have used the standard depreciation tables on him for a tax break?

If only life were as easy as a fantasy wish.

11. greymares - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

the A-Rod contract is not the only one the Yankees have to eat. the only 2 position players worth keeping are a (healthy) Jeter and Cano and before anybody tells me about all the games they won this year. I watched the Phillies go from 102 wins to 81 with a helluva better pitching staff than the Yankees have..

12. captn58crunch - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM

He may have a lot to prove but he has a lot of growing up to do too. Getting caught picking up sluts during the game. Absurd. That type of stuff distracts the team also when the media gets hold of it. Wake up, Arod.

• greymares - Oct 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM

“sluts” ? what gives you the right,

• 18thstreet - Oct 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Your shortstop sends gift baskets to all the women he sleeps with and does it so frequently everyone knows it.

But you have the nerve to call women getting flirted with at baseball games sluts. I’m with GreyMares. What gives you the right?

13. damnyankee13 - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Arod…hmmm… to single A minor league. prob solved

14. 13arod - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM

pirates don’t have any money they can’t afford him they have one of tje fewest payrolls?

• mazblast - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM

No team will take on A-Rod at full pay. The Pirates may take him (but would be better off not) if the Yankees pay 80-90% of his salary.

It’s a moot point in any event. I don’t see any way that A-Rod would go to a unglamorous city like Pittsburgh. He clearly needs to be where the other pretty-but-shallow people are.

15. raysfan1 - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM

People are writing this guy’s career obit too soon. They are forgetting he has sustained majors injuries each of the past two seasons. If he stays healthy next year, I think we’ll see him put up numbers more like those of 2009.

• mazblast - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

At age 37, I think he’s more likely to keep getting injured or “injured” than to return to his form of years ago.

• cur68 - Oct 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of ARod but all this piling on gets my back up. I hope he comes back and has a monster year next year then DEMANDS to be traded.

• stex52 - Oct 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Why not? Stranger things have happened. Look at his stats. He’s not exactly chopped liver. In a healthy year, who knows? The problem now isn’t that he wouldn’t be a decent deal at 8 MM$/yr. It’s just that he is a horrible one at 29 MM$/yr. And that is more a management problem than a fan problem.

16. thatyankeedude - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

2009 is the only reason A-Rod is liked by his deteriorating fan base.

17. humanexcrement - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

If every Yankee fan contributes 5, 10, 20, 50 or 100 dollars depending on their income, I think we can buy out a good bit of ARod’s contract and either trade him for nothing or have him released outright. Anyone with the resources care to start up a fund? I pledge 50 bucks right off the bat. I wonder how many Yankee fans there are on the planet–die hard fans, not casual. There must be 6 million hardcore fans in New York state and Jersey alone, if not more. Combine that with the rest of the country, especially Yankee-friendly places like Southern Connecticut, NE PA, and Tampa, and I think this is doable.

18. theskinsman - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:21 AM

I love this. Can’t think of a team and fan base who deserve what they have going on now more than the yanks. Sure,it’s all Aroids’ fault. I swear I saw him pitching BP last night.
    How about Robbie ‘ if I only had a brain’ Cano? he was just sizzlin’ with that bat. All those text messages from Texeria? That grandyman was special,too.

The whole team was exactly what they were all year.They just weren’t playing all the cellar dwellars that built up their record. And for those still paying attention, steroids cause bones to become brittle.Try to avoid more curious fractures, because with a 200 million dollar payroll, most fans won’t accept injury excuses.

• oraclepz1 - Oct 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Cellar dwellers? Correct me if I’m wrong? Didn’t most of our division have records over .500?

• humanexcrement - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I might be wrong, but I think what we’ve got here is a Red Sox fan. Now that their brief run of success is over, they’re back to what they used to be: a bunch of hateful onlookers with nothing better to do than delight in the misfortune of others. Either way, as obnoxious as Yankee fans often are, It’s really the Yankee haters who are getting on my nerves these days. No matter what their persuasion, it’s a group of people who would rather see the Yankees make it all the way to the World Series and lose than their own team win. I remember seeing guys just sit and chuckle and gloat when the Yankees lost the 2001 and 2003 WS, while their own team was nowhere to be seen. What pathetic people.

19. Detroit Michael - Oct 19, 2012 at 5:50 AM

If he leaves the Yankees, how is he ever getting to get the mystery woman’s phone number. He has to stay in New York because true love conquers all. :=)

20. mallethead329 - Oct 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Good for A-Rod. The Yankees offered him the contract, let them pay it. I hope he doesn’t change his mind, and has a good remaining career. $115,000,000. I have no sympathy. As to Yankee management and fans, this is payback for all the years your organization jacked up the cost of a ticket for all of us by overpaying for talent. Next summer, the Yankees will be at .500, and that ridiculous stadium will be half empty. Based on attendance at those last two home games, it seems Yankee fans are just as much front runners as anyone else.

21. rrussell1967 - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

A-Rod to the Astros so long as the Yankees pay most of the contract… they need a draw, they are moving to the AL so he can DH to rest on occasion and he can pile up numbers in a small ball park. Only question is, who would the Yankees get to replace him? It’s not as if there is a flood of great 3b out there who are available.

• bradmoss1 - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM

We’ve suffered enough.

Signed,

Astros Fan

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3883)