Oct 18, 2012, 11:32 PM EDT
The Cardinals are just one win away from joining the Tigers in the World Series.
Behind an excellent pitching performance from Adam Wainwright and a relentless attack from their offense, the Cardinals defeated the Giants 8-3 tonight and now own a commanding 3-1 series lead in the NLCS.
Wainwright had his curveball working tonight and limited the Giants to just four hits while striking out five and walking none. His only mistake was a solo homer by Hunter Pence in the second inning. He threw an efficient 70 out of 95 pitches for strikes before Fernando Salas pitched the final two innings.
The Giants were hoping Tim Lincecum‘s success in the bullpen would lead to a big start tonight, but it just didn’t happen. He struggled with his command in the first inning en route to giving up two runs and was knocked out of the ballgame in the fifth. The Cardinals scored two runs in the sixth and seventh innings to put the game out of reach. Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday and Jon Jay all knocked in two runs apiece.
The Giants aren’t done, but it’s tough to have much confidence going into tomorrow night. Why? Well, Barry Zito will be tasked with keeping the Giants’ season alive after giving up two runs on four hits and four walks in just 2 2/3 innings in Game 4 of the NLCS against the Reds. Madison Bumgarner, who was banished to the bullpen following his Game 1 clunker, will be there to back Zito up if he makes another early exit. Lance Lynn, who gave up four runs over 3 2/3 innings in Game 1, will try to make sure the series doesn’t make it back to San Francisco.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 4
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)