Oct 18, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
At least part of it? Here’s some speculation from Heyman that actually makes sense:
The White Sox would like to re-sign third baseman Kevin Youkilis. But some see the rival Indians, who’ve hired his friend Terry Francona to manage, as a potential threat to try to sign Youkilis now.
The Indians’ interest is mostly in the speculative stage, but it makes sense. The Indians could use hitters, and especially righthanded ones.
If I’m running the Indians I try to leave first base open for Carlos Santana because I think that’s where his future lies, but they could do way worse than to have Youk around for some combination of 1B/3B/DH.
Youkilis has a $13 million option that the White Sox are expected to decline, making him fair game for anyone. Crazier things have happened than him taking a two-year deal or something in Cleveland.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 23
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 42
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)