Diamondbacks name Berthiaume, Brenly to TV crew

Oct 18, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT

Diamondbacks logo

Everyone figured that Bob Brenly was on his way back to Arizona after his exit from the Cubs booth was confirmed Wednesday. The Diamondbacks made it official today, naming him their TV color guy, and announced a surprise choice as the new play-by-play man: ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume.

The move keeps Brenly in the booth with a number friendly play-by-play guy. Berthiaume has an active presence on twitter and shows a fondness for advanced stats. He seems like a great choice for Arizona, and the new booth figures to be a nice upgrade over the Daron Sutton-Mark Grace pairing that disintegrated in 2012.

As for Len Kasper’s new partner in Chicago, that’s still up in the air. Kerry Wood told CSNChicago’s David Kaplan that he has no interest in the job. Kaplan mentions Todd Hollandsworth, Rick Sutcliffe, Steve Lyons, Eric Karros and Dan Plesac as some possibilities to join WGN. He also brings up Doug Glanville, who would be a¬†terrific¬†choice, in my opinion. Grace doesn’t appear to be a candidate.

1. jxegh - Oct 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM

That’s a great choice – I loved him as a player when he was in SF. He says what’s on his mind. If he was playing right now, I guarantee their would be retaliation for Holliday’s slide on Scutaro.

2. proudlycanadian - Oct 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM

How about Ozzie Guillen?

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Guillen played for the White Sox, not the Cubs. Just because it’s the same town doesn’t mean it’s the same fan base.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM

That is precisely why the idea apeals to me.

• qcubed3 - Oct 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Ozzie has expressed his love of Wrigley many, many times…

3. schlom - Oct 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Rick Sutcliffe – I feel bad for Cubs fans if that’s the choice.

• Alex K - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I hope not. That would be awful. I don’t think I would mind Hollandsworth.

4. xpensivewinos - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM

RIck Sutcliffe = Hank Hill

5. APBA Guy - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM

This is great news for AZ, and evidently is a good career move-ie, more money-for Berthiaume, but it is a potential disaster for BBTN. He was such a good host, giving the ex-jocks more space than Ravech but keeping the show on track. He also understood the sport much better than Ravech, the so-called lead anchor.

My girlfriend has already emailed that we’ll be watching a lot more MLB network next year. Maybe. ESPN is still superior in technical production, but that will mean nothing if they turn the show into a shout-fest or a tag-line wasteland like Sportscenter. They’re on a short leash.

Congrats to Bert and to AZ fans.

• hojo20 - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

So glad he’s leaving BBTN. He’s very smarmy when doing highlights.

6. xmatt0926x - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Baseball Tonight is dead anyway. I used to really like it but it just doesn’t have the energy of MLB Tonight. Changing the channel from MLB Tonight to Baseball Tonight is like going from a party to a funeral anymore.

• mazblast - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Fifteen years ago I used to live and die by whether I saw BBTN once or twice a night. Ten years ago, not so much. Five years ago, almost an afterthought. Now, I see it only in passing while channel surfing. It’s completely irrelevant anymore.

7. eagles512 - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Can we get anyone to replace McCarthy in Philly? The worst

• mazblast - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

You haven’t suffered until you’ve had to listen to Thom “I’m Marty’s Idiot Son” Brenneman or Jeff “I’d rather talk about my ice cream eating habit than the actual game” Brantley on the Reds network.

Brantley may have had the line of the year just last month when he was working on the TV side one Sunday–“When you stand still, you have no momentum”.

8. jericoc - Oct 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Wait a second! Does this mean we’re losing Cindy Brunson on ESPN News!?

Orioles turn AL East on its head