Oct 18, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, Dr. James Andrews recommended that Garcia attempt to rehab a rotator cuff strain and inflammation in his left shoulder rather than undergo surgery. He’ll be re-evaluated in two or three weeks by Cardinals head physician Dr. George Paletta, so plans could change if he fails to make progress.
Garcia posted a 3.92 ERA over 20 starts this season and missed two months with a shoulder strain. He was pulled from his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals last Monday due to continued discomfort. The 26-year-old southpaw is owed $5.75 million next season, $7.75 million in 2014 and $9.25 million in 2015 while his contract includes club options for 2016 and 2017.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)