Oct 18, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, Dr. James Andrews recommended that Garcia attempt to rehab a rotator cuff strain and inflammation in his left shoulder rather than undergo surgery. He’ll be re-evaluated in two or three weeks by Cardinals head physician Dr. George Paletta, so plans could change if he fails to make progress.
Garcia posted a 3.92 ERA over 20 starts this season and missed two months with a shoulder strain. He was pulled from his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals last Monday due to continued discomfort. The 26-year-old southpaw is owed $5.75 million next season, $7.75 million in 2014 and $9.25 million in 2015 while his contract includes club options for 2016 and 2017.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)