Oct 18, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, Dr. James Andrews recommended that Garcia attempt to rehab a rotator cuff strain and inflammation in his left shoulder rather than undergo surgery. He’ll be re-evaluated in two or three weeks by Cardinals head physician Dr. George Paletta, so plans could change if he fails to make progress.
Garcia posted a 3.92 ERA over 20 starts this season and missed two months with a shoulder strain. He was pulled from his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals last Monday due to continued discomfort. The 26-year-old southpaw is owed $5.75 million next season, $7.75 million in 2014 and $9.25 million in 2015 while his contract includes club options for 2016 and 2017.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 17
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?