Oct 18, 2012, 10:07 PM EST
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, Dr. James Andrews recommended that Garcia attempt to rehab a rotator cuff strain and inflammation in his left shoulder rather than undergo surgery. He’ll be re-evaluated in two or three weeks by Cardinals head physician Dr. George Paletta, so plans could change if he fails to make progress.
Garcia posted a 3.92 ERA over 20 starts this season and missed two months with a shoulder strain. He was pulled from his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Nationals last Monday due to continued discomfort. The 26-year-old southpaw is owed $5.75 million next season, $7.75 million in 2014 and $9.25 million in 2015 while his contract includes club options for 2016 and 2017.
- Report: Mariners break off talks with Robinson Cano after Jay Z “overplayed his hand” 45
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)