Oct 18, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Jim Leyland planned to rest Phil Coke last night, which may have opened the door for Jose Valverde to close out a series-ending win for the Tigers, but instead the game was rained out and now Coke is available for today’s Game 4.
However, when asked who he’ll turn to if the Tigers have a ninth-inning lead to protect Leyland said only that “everyone is available today” and “we’ll play it by ear.”
That could mean a lot of things, including a matchup-based closer-by-committee situation, but one thing it seemingly doesn’t mean is that Jose Valverde has regained the job he held for the past three seasons while converting 110 saves.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (156)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)