Oct 18, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Jim Leyland planned to rest Phil Coke last night, which may have opened the door for Jose Valverde to close out a series-ending win for the Tigers, but instead the game was rained out and now Coke is available for today’s Game 4.
However, when asked who he’ll turn to if the Tigers have a ninth-inning lead to protect Leyland said only that “everyone is available today” and “we’ll play it by ear.”
That could mean a lot of things, including a matchup-based closer-by-committee situation, but one thing it seemingly doesn’t mean is that Jose Valverde has regained the job he held for the past three seasons while converting 110 saves.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)