Oct 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
How did a pro baseball pitcher (Josh Beckett of the L.A. Dodgers), ocelots and a natural gas pipeline builder make it into the same news headline? They’re all part of a lawsuit filed by Beckett after the company used eminent domain to clear land on his 7,000-acre hunting ranch in south Texas.
Beckett says the gas pipeline takes too much of his land and threatens ocelot habitat that is protected by the Endangered Species Act. The gas pipeline builder says Beckett is really just trying to extract more money for the use of the land and is using the Endangered Species Act as leverage.
Obviously a story like this isn’t going to have all the details in it to know the truth. I will say, though, that based on my past life as a litigator who sometimes dealt with oil and gas pipeline matters, it is really common for landowners to cynically use the Endangered Species Act to hold up projects and/or get more money for oil and gas rights and/or rights of way.
Of course it’s entirely possible that Beckett truly does care about the ocelots. Just look at his tufted ears!
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)