Oct 18, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Finally, a columnist who isn’t buying into conspiracy theories.
Buster Olney details A-Rod’s struggles — his baseball struggles — notes the exceedingly poor matchups in play between the zombie A-Rod and the Tigers’ power righties, and puts lie to the notion that the reason Rodriguez is on the bench is because of silly tabloid nonsense:
Does anyone think that the Yankees decision-makers, from Girardi to general manager Brian Cashman, love every player they’ve inserted into their lineup through the years? No. Have they used productive players they couldn’t stand personally (like the way Joe Torre kept giving the David Wells the ball)? Absolutely.
Hell, if the Yankees thought the 86-year-old Fidel Castro could throw 120 mph and help the Yankees win the 2012 title, they’d pitch him.
Perhaps this can be explained by the fact that Olney is a national writer so he doesn’t spend all fall and winter filling column inches with “A-Rod is history’s greatest monster” stories. But the fact that it happens to be the most logical and straightforward explanation for all of this is an added benefit.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)