Oct 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
CC Sabathia insisted after last night’s ugly outing that the elbow problems he dealt with earlier in the season weren’t an issue, but general manager Brian Cashman noted that the Yankees will ask him to get checked out anyway.
“Let’s put it this way, we’re going to look at that elbow, no doubt about it,” Cashman said, via Marc Carig of New York Newsday. “That will be on the list of things we have to look at now that the offseason’s here. Whether he wants to or not, we’re going to go look into this thing and make sure everything’s OK.”
Sabathia failed to make it out of the fourth inning against the Tigers, allowing six runs on 11 hits, but said afterward that his elbow “felt good” and “it felt good enough to pitch tonight.” And six days earlier Sabathia tossed a one-run complete game against the Orioles, striking out nine while allowing just four hits.
Sabathia, who signed an extension almost exactly one year ago, is under contract for at least another four years and $99 million.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)