Oct 19, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
Award season is upon us.
Posey missed most of last season after breaking his ankle in a home plate collision, but returned to play 146 games while hitting .336 to win the NL batting title and will get strong support for MVP.
Rodney came back from being terrible rather than an injury, but his story is perhaps even more remarkable. Last season he was demoted to mop-up man in the Angels’ bullpen thanks to a 4.50 ERA and more walks than strikeouts in 32 innings. And this year, at age 35, all he did was top Dennis Eckersley to set the all-time record for lowest ERA by a pitcher with 50 or more innings at 0.60.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)