Oct 19, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
Just like his start in Game 1 on Sunday, the fourth inning was Lance Lynn‘s undoing tonight.
After holding the Giants hitless over the first three innings, Lynn allowed four runs in the top of the fourth inning before being pulled.
Lynn gave up singles to Marco Scutaro and Pablo Sandoval to begin the inning before striking out Buster Posey for the first out. The next batter, Hunter Pence, hit a tapper right back at Lynn, but he made a wild throw which hit the second base bag and deflected into center field. Scutaro came around to score while Sandoval scampered over to third. Lynn got Brandon Belt to hit a soft liner to second base for the second out, but then walked Gregor Blanco to load the bases for Brandon Crawford, who delivered a two-run single through the middle. If that wasn’t bad enough, Barry Zito then wisely dropped a bunt down the third base line and beat it out for a hit to drive in the fourth run of the inning and end Lynn’s night. Seriously.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17