Oct 19, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
The qualifying offer, which would be worth about $13.5 million for 2013, would secure the Yankees a draft pick if Swisher leaves as a free agent. Swisher could opt to accept the one-year deal, but since he’s likely to receive mulityear offers as a free agent, that’s a long shot.
Before a bust of an October in which he hit .167 in 30 at-bats, Swisher had another fine regular season for the Yankees this year, batting .272/.374/.473 with 24 homers and 93 RBI. He’s finished with OPSs between .820 and .870 in each of his four years with the Yankees.
With Swisher, Ichiro Suzuki, Raul Ibanez and Andruw Jones all set for free agency, Curtis Granderson and Brett Gardner are the only veteran Yankees outfielders under contract for next season. Granderson’s $13 million option is assured of being picked up. The Yankees could make an attempt to re-sign Ichiro and Ibanez, but it’s hard to imagine that they’d be content with that foursome of left-handers as their primary outfielders. They could pursue Cody Ross, Torii Hunter or maybe even ALCS MVP Delmon Young as a right-handed-hitting option. Hunter would seem to be a particularly nice fit, but he is expected to remain with the Angels.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)