Oct 19, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
The qualifying offer, which would be worth about $13.5 million for 2013, would secure the Yankees a draft pick if Swisher leaves as a free agent. Swisher could opt to accept the one-year deal, but since he’s likely to receive mulityear offers as a free agent, that’s a long shot.
Before a bust of an October in which he hit .167 in 30 at-bats, Swisher had another fine regular season for the Yankees this year, batting .272/.374/.473 with 24 homers and 93 RBI. He’s finished with OPSs between .820 and .870 in each of his four years with the Yankees.
With Swisher, Ichiro Suzuki, Raul Ibanez and Andruw Jones all set for free agency, Curtis Granderson and Brett Gardner are the only veteran Yankees outfielders under contract for next season. Granderson’s $13 million option is assured of being picked up. The Yankees could make an attempt to re-sign Ichiro and Ibanez, but it’s hard to imagine that they’d be content with that foursome of left-handers as their primary outfielders. They could pursue Cody Ross, Torii Hunter or maybe even ALCS MVP Delmon Young as a right-handed-hitting option. Hunter would seem to be a particularly nice fit, but he is expected to remain with the Angels.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)