Oct 19, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
27-year-old right-hander Jesse Litsch, still suffering from the aftereffects of an infection in his shoulder, will see a cartilage specialist later this month and may elect for his third surgery this year as he attempts to salvage his career.
Litsch’s infection arose after he received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his shoulder in February. Surgery to clean out the infection left him with little cartilage in the back of his arm. Since he’s struggled to progress in his comeback since, the Blue Jays dropped him from their roster last week.
“I still want to play, I don’t want to give up, I’m not one to give up,” Litsch told Sportsnet.ca’s Shi Davidi. “If it comes to where I can’t play anymore, I’ll have to figure something out. But I want to keep trying until my body tells me I can’t.”
Litsch was a successful starter for the Jays in 2007-08, going 20-18 with a 3.67 ERA in 287 innings between the two seasons. Injuries have limited ever since, though the did experience some success out of the pen in 2011. Overall, he went 27-27 with a 4.16 ERA in 67 starts and 21 relief appearances for Toronto.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)