Oct 19, 2012, 2:51 PM EST
27-year-old right-hander Jesse Litsch, still suffering from the aftereffects of an infection in his shoulder, will see a cartilage specialist later this month and may elect for his third surgery this year as he attempts to salvage his career.
Litsch’s infection arose after he received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his shoulder in February. Surgery to clean out the infection left him with little cartilage in the back of his arm. Since he’s struggled to progress in his comeback since, the Blue Jays dropped him from their roster last week.
“I still want to play, I don’t want to give up, I’m not one to give up,” Litsch told Sportsnet.ca’s Shi Davidi. “If it comes to where I can’t play anymore, I’ll have to figure something out. But I want to keep trying until my body tells me I can’t.”
Litsch was a successful starter for the Jays in 2007-08, going 20-18 with a 3.67 ERA in 287 innings between the two seasons. Injuries have limited ever since, though the did experience some success out of the pen in 2011. Overall, he went 27-27 with a 4.16 ERA in 67 starts and 21 relief appearances for Toronto.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)