Oct 19, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
27-year-old right-hander Jesse Litsch, still suffering from the aftereffects of an infection in his shoulder, will see a cartilage specialist later this month and may elect for his third surgery this year as he attempts to salvage his career.
Litsch’s infection arose after he received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his shoulder in February. Surgery to clean out the infection left him with little cartilage in the back of his arm. Since he’s struggled to progress in his comeback since, the Blue Jays dropped him from their roster last week.
“I still want to play, I don’t want to give up, I’m not one to give up,” Litsch told Sportsnet.ca’s Shi Davidi. “If it comes to where I can’t play anymore, I’ll have to figure something out. But I want to keep trying until my body tells me I can’t.”
Litsch was a successful starter for the Jays in 2007-08, going 20-18 with a 3.67 ERA in 287 innings between the two seasons. Injuries have limited ever since, though the did experience some success out of the pen in 2011. Overall, he went 27-27 with a 4.16 ERA in 67 starts and 21 relief appearances for Toronto.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)