Jesse Litsch ponders another surgery with baseball future in doubt

Oct 19, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT

Blue Jays pitcher Litsch throws to the  Rays during their American League MLB baseball game in Toronto Reuters

27-year-old right-hander Jesse Litsch, still suffering from the aftereffects of an infection in his shoulder, will see a cartilage specialist later this month and may elect for his third surgery this year as he attempts to salvage his career.

Litsch’s infection arose after he received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his shoulder in February. Surgery to clean out the infection left him with little cartilage in the back of his arm. Since he’s struggled to progress in his comeback since, the Blue Jays dropped him from their roster last week.

“I still want to play, I don’t want to give up, I’m not one to give up,” Litsch told Sportsnet.ca’s Shi Davidi. “If it comes to where I can’t play anymore, I’ll have to figure something out. But I want to keep trying until my body tells me I can’t.”

Litsch was a successful starter for the Jays in 2007-08, going 20-18 with a 3.67 ERA in 287 innings between the two seasons. Injuries have limited ever since, though the did experience some success out of the pen in 2011. Overall, he went 27-27 with a 4.16 ERA in 67 starts and 21 relief appearances for Toronto.

1. cur68 - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Tough break for the kid. He had no luck at all with what happened. I hope he gets good news. He’s due.

2. mt99808 - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I’m sure a lot of buffet’s in Toronto are missing him

3. jaysjunkie - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Even before this, Litsch seemed to have that cloud over him of a guy who’d never pitch again, or at least never be able to get totally healthy for an extended period (see Dustin McGowan). I very much hope I’m wrong, as he was a solid contributor when he was healthy.

4. edelmanfanclub - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Actually a fan of Litsch. Always stinks when injuries derailed a career.

5. proudlycanadian - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Litch was once a bat boy for the Devil Rays. I see him as a future baseball lifer with a career in either scouting or coaching.

1. M. Morse (2226)