Oct 19, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
Adams dealt with soreness in his shoulder and neck in September before he was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, an injury which is caused by a rib pushing down on a nerve and causing numbness. Chris Carpenter had the same surgery in July and is currently pitching in the postseason, but there’s no guarantee Adams’ recovery will go as smoothly.
The surgery is unfortunate timing for Adams, who is due to hit free agency this offseason and will likely have to settle for less than he would have if he was 100 percent. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.27 ERA and 45/17 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings with the Rangers this season and has a 1.98 ERA dating back to 2008.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)