Oct 19, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
Adams dealt with soreness in his shoulder and neck in September before he was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, an injury which is caused by a rib pushing down on a nerve and causing numbness. Chris Carpenter had the same surgery in July and is currently pitching in the postseason, but there’s no guarantee Adams’ recovery will go as smoothly.
The surgery is unfortunate timing for Adams, who is due to hit free agency this offseason and will likely have to settle for less than he would have if he was 100 percent. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.27 ERA and 45/17 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings with the Rangers this season and has a 1.98 ERA dating back to 2008.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)