Oct 19, 2012, 7:35 PM EST
Adams dealt with soreness in his shoulder and neck in September before he was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, an injury which is caused by a rib pushing down on a nerve and causing numbness. Chris Carpenter had the same surgery in July and is currently pitching in the postseason, but there’s no guarantee Adams’ recovery will go as smoothly.
The surgery is unfortunate timing for Adams, who is due to hit free agency this offseason and will likely have to settle for less than he would have if he was 100 percent. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.27 ERA and 45/17 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings with the Rangers this season and has a 1.98 ERA dating back to 2008.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)