Oct 19, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
Adams dealt with soreness in his shoulder and neck in September before he was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, an injury which is caused by a rib pushing down on a nerve and causing numbness. Chris Carpenter had the same surgery in July and is currently pitching in the postseason, but there’s no guarantee Adams’ recovery will go as smoothly.
The surgery is unfortunate timing for Adams, who is due to hit free agency this offseason and will likely have to settle for less than he would have if he was 100 percent. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.27 ERA and 45/17 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings with the Rangers this season and has a 1.98 ERA dating back to 2008.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)