Oct 19, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
Adams dealt with soreness in his shoulder and neck in September before he was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, an injury which is caused by a rib pushing down on a nerve and causing numbness. Chris Carpenter had the same surgery in July and is currently pitching in the postseason, but there’s no guarantee Adams’ recovery will go as smoothly.
The surgery is unfortunate timing for Adams, who is due to hit free agency this offseason and will likely have to settle for less than he would have if he was 100 percent. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.27 ERA and 45/17 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings with the Rangers this season and has a 1.98 ERA dating back to 2008.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)