Oct 19, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
Yankees GM Brian Cashman had some, well, interesting quotes after the Yankees got swept out of the ALCS on Thursday. Here’s one of them:
Raul Ibanez didn’t hit in last year’s postseason for Philadelphia; he hit in this postseason for us in a massive way. Why did we gravitate to him? He’s left-handed, he’s got power, he’s selective — big, hairy monster. He was great. I think people were happy with that decision. If you have a philosophy you believe in, that’s been tested, I have no problem with people asking about it — clearly trying to challenge it, trying to dissect it and tear it apart — but I am not going to turn myself into, as Joe (Girardi) used earlier in the year, the Bronx Bunters because all of a sudden we didn’t hit for this week in October. That’s not our DNA. That’s not what makes us successful and that’s certainly not what’s getting us in the postseason every year but one year since I got here.
The implication is that Cashman will be looking more big, hairy monsters as he retools his lineup this winter. Fortunately, scouting them just got a whole lot easier.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)