Oct 19, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Yankees GM Brian Cashman had some, well, interesting quotes after the Yankees got swept out of the ALCS on Thursday. Here’s one of them:
Raul Ibanez didn’t hit in last year’s postseason for Philadelphia; he hit in this postseason for us in a massive way. Why did we gravitate to him? He’s left-handed, he’s got power, he’s selective — big, hairy monster. He was great. I think people were happy with that decision. If you have a philosophy you believe in, that’s been tested, I have no problem with people asking about it — clearly trying to challenge it, trying to dissect it and tear it apart — but I am not going to turn myself into, as Joe (Girardi) used earlier in the year, the Bronx Bunters because all of a sudden we didn’t hit for this week in October. That’s not our DNA. That’s not what makes us successful and that’s certainly not what’s getting us in the postseason every year but one year since I got here.
The implication is that Cashman will be looking more big, hairy monsters as he retools his lineup this winter. Fortunately, scouting them just got a whole lot easier.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)