Oct 19, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to an unnamed Yankees player who claims the booing affected the team’s performance:
I really think the booing spooked a lot of guys. A lot of guys hadn’t been booed before, and they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands. A lot of guys were talking about it in the clubhouse. I was surprised by how much it bothered them. I really don’t think they ever recovered.
Harper indicates that the unnamed player in question was not Swisher.
And the whole “they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands” part is interesting given that Alex Rodriguez has been booed pretty mercilessly at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis for years now. And even beyond A-Rod, the notion that players would be so shocked and shaken by New Yorkers booing them during a poor performance seems … well, let’s say odd.
Also worth noting: While the booing at Yankee Stadium may have “spooked” the Yankees and hurt their performance, they also lost both games in Detroit.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)