Oct 19, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to an unnamed Yankees player who claims the booing affected the team’s performance:
I really think the booing spooked a lot of guys. A lot of guys hadn’t been booed before, and they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands. A lot of guys were talking about it in the clubhouse. I was surprised by how much it bothered them. I really don’t think they ever recovered.
Harper indicates that the unnamed player in question was not Swisher.
And the whole “they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands” part is interesting given that Alex Rodriguez has been booed pretty mercilessly at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis for years now. And even beyond A-Rod, the notion that players would be so shocked and shaken by New Yorkers booing them during a poor performance seems … well, let’s say odd.
Also worth noting: While the booing at Yankee Stadium may have “spooked” the Yankees and hurt their performance, they also lost both games in Detroit.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (132)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)