Oct 19, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to an unnamed Yankees player who claims the booing affected the team’s performance:
I really think the booing spooked a lot of guys. A lot of guys hadn’t been booed before, and they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands. A lot of guys were talking about it in the clubhouse. I was surprised by how much it bothered them. I really don’t think they ever recovered.
Harper indicates that the unnamed player in question was not Swisher.
And the whole “they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands” part is interesting given that Alex Rodriguez has been booed pretty mercilessly at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis for years now. And even beyond A-Rod, the notion that players would be so shocked and shaken by New Yorkers booing them during a poor performance seems … well, let’s say odd.
Also worth noting: While the booing at Yankee Stadium may have “spooked” the Yankees and hurt their performance, they also lost both games in Detroit.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)