Oct 19, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to an unnamed Yankees player who claims the booing affected the team’s performance:
I really think the booing spooked a lot of guys. A lot of guys hadn’t been booed before, and they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands. A lot of guys were talking about it in the clubhouse. I was surprised by how much it bothered them. I really don’t think they ever recovered.
Harper indicates that the unnamed player in question was not Swisher.
And the whole “they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands” part is interesting given that Alex Rodriguez has been booed pretty mercilessly at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis for years now. And even beyond A-Rod, the notion that players would be so shocked and shaken by New Yorkers booing them during a poor performance seems … well, let’s say odd.
Also worth noting: While the booing at Yankee Stadium may have “spooked” the Yankees and hurt their performance, they also lost both games in Detroit.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 5
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 33
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 52
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)