Yankee Stadium boos “spooked a lot of guys” according to anonymous Yankee

Oct 19, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT

ghost boo

Earlier this week Nick Swisher talked about how getting booed by the home crowd at Yankee Stadium really upset him and apparently he wasn’t alone.

John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to an unnamed Yankees player who claims the booing affected the team’s performance:

I really think the booing spooked a lot of guys. A lot of guys hadn’t been booed before, and they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands. A lot of guys were talking about it in the clubhouse. I was surprised by how much it bothered them. I really don’t think they ever recovered.

Harper indicates that the unnamed player in question was not Swisher.

And the whole “they couldn’t believe how nasty it got in the stands” part is interesting given that Alex Rodriguez has been booed pretty mercilessly at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis for years now. And even beyond A-Rod, the notion that players would be so shocked and shaken by New Yorkers booing them during a poor performance seems … well, let’s say odd.

Also worth noting: While the booing at Yankee Stadium may have “spooked” the Yankees and hurt their performance, they also lost both games in Detroit.

1. kurtdman24 - Oct 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Well I understand where Yankees fans are coming from. This is an expensive team, and fans are paying for it with ticket prices in triple digits, $10 sandwiches, $10 programs and $11 beers. You can’t entirely blame them for being unhappy about what they were seeing.

• Brian Donohue - Oct 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Well doesn’t this explain everything now? The Yanx were just getting into that trick or treat spirit and didn’t want to let the WS cause them to miss out on Halloween. The O’s may have the Halloween color but the Yanx have that kooky spooky spirit. I say their marketing dept. should have a Quidditch night at the ballpark beginning next year. Dementors in the dugout!

• banggbiskit - Oct 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

If a person is paying 30 dollars for food and programs, they’ve made a concious decision that this is worth the money. If they arent happy about what they’re seeing, they have the option to stay away.

If the prices are too high, you need to make your voice known by staying away from the games and not booing the players.

Personally, i dont care about someone feeling they’ve paid ‘too much’ for the entertainment experience and that experience hasnt been met because i want to win games, that’s all most true fans care about. Why would you want to hurt the feelings of your own players, they’re trying as hard as they can, sometimes you arent going to win, i don’t get all the hometown booing, it makes no sense to me why fans would boo their own guys.

Do Pirates or Royals fans boo constantly, game after game? I would guess not. Those fans arent even in playoff games and yet, their fans don’t boo. Could you imagine the Royals or the Pirates being boo’d off the field in all 81 home games year after year after year? You have to imagine that fans of those teams don’t like what they’re seeing either, why don’t they constantly boo?

• pjmarn6 - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

The players don’t want to hear boos, put in ear plugs and get the job done. I am sure they are cashing their paychecks every week.

2. richwizl - Oct 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Personally, I can’t see myself booing guys that have been “my guys” all season. I would be very sad, disappointed, perhaps embarrassed, but I only boo the bad guys on the other team, if they’ve done something bad, usually off the field. I’m a longtime RSox fan and I even felt sympathy for guys like Swisher, Grandy and Cano for some reason. They just got severely humbled by Detroit and the game itself.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 20, 2012 at 2:21 AM

You clearly aren’t a Sox fan, and if you are, I assume it’s post-2004….and you didn’t watch this year.

• oldpaddy - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I’m a sox fan. I went to the 7/22 game against Toronto. The one where Lester gave up a home run to the first batter. I boo’d so much that I was horse the rest of the day.
      As I told my son, when they do good you reward them with cheers. When they stink you shower them with boos.
      Pre ’04 that was the norm. Now we have pansies like richwizl who think we should all hold hands at the park and sing kumbya my lord. Go back to duxbury or whatever sissy town you come from, nancy. Leave the sox to the real fans.

• hconnor2001 - Oct 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Oh please be joking, you sorry excuse for an epsilon-minus semi-moron.

• tekasam - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

richwizl – if you felt sympathy for ANY Yankee while they were struggling, you must live in southwest Conneticut, or in a cave somewhere

• badintent - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM

The boo birds were all imported Philly fans, it’s a genetic defect thing

3. irokkit - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Yankees suck!!!!

4. zerowolfe - Oct 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

seeing A-rod get punched to the ground would be a pleasing sight. years ago reverend ambrose i. lane,a black radio host and profound thinker, lost it on air and angrily called alex r. “a punk”. rodless us no “clemente”…more like that other pachuco loser “anny hernandez”…ANGELS regret their long term deal with former Cardinal slugger ???….benched for non production too…a few dollars to the good and their “barrio” personas arrive..”sappo”,”maricone” and “naranjo”! Keith hernandez was a good guy..a different breed from a different generation!

• badintent - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Keith Hernandez was a dirt bag supreme. He lied face to face to Whitey Herzog, his manager about his cocaine use, his stats had crashed. He ‘s a liar, a thief( got paid $ millions to coke up when he should have been working hard on his game ) and a druggie..
      Who the hell is reverend ambrose,? Rev Wrights’ bag man ??another racist POS ?? What the hell would we care about some black dude whipping on our Hispanic brother.Do we get in your shit.? Blacks are now less than 10 % of baseball rosters. Every day , more and more Asians and Hispanic ballers are coming. Get over it.

5. irokkit - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Hconner2001…., you talkin’ to me? Are you talkin’ to me? ARE YOU talkin to me?

THE YANKEES STILL SUCK!!!!!!

• protius - Oct 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM

irokkit:

Connor writes for the intelligent, adult readers. You need to read someone who writes for the detox & rehab crowd.

6. irokkit - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I have already read all of your posts Mr Protius.

7. tvguy22 - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Awww, poor guys.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3984)