Oct 20, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
Ideally, the Cardinals would have NLCS Game 4 starter Adam Wainwright available to start Game 1 or 2 of the World Series next week against Detroit.
But the Cardinals have to get to the World Series first, and so they’re not ruling Wainwright out for a relief appearance in a potential NLCS Game 7 on Monday against the Giants. Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
Matheny offered that using Wainwright in relief was at least a topic of discussion for the team, depending on how the next two days unfold.
“We’re still talking about that, but nothing in stone right now,” Matheny said. “I think it’s taking everything into account.”
Wainwright was shelled for six earned runs over just 2 1/3 innings in Game 5 of the NLDS versus the Nationals, but he’s been sharp in his other two postseason outings. The 31-year-old right-hander has a 20/3 K/BB ratio in 15 innings since the beginning of the playoffs. His curveball has been excellent.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)