Oct 20, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
Ideally, the Cardinals would have NLCS Game 4 starter Adam Wainwright available to start Game 1 or 2 of the World Series next week against Detroit.
But the Cardinals have to get to the World Series first, and so they’re not ruling Wainwright out for a relief appearance in a potential NLCS Game 7 on Monday against the Giants. Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
Matheny offered that using Wainwright in relief was at least a topic of discussion for the team, depending on how the next two days unfold.
“We’re still talking about that, but nothing in stone right now,” Matheny said. “I think it’s taking everything into account.”
Wainwright was shelled for six earned runs over just 2 1/3 innings in Game 5 of the NLDS versus the Nationals, but he’s been sharp in his other two postseason outings. The 31-year-old right-hander has a 20/3 K/BB ratio in 15 innings since the beginning of the playoffs. His curveball has been excellent.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)