Oct 20, 2012, 10:04 PM EST
Chris Young’s arrival Saturday from Arizona gives Oakland a crowded outfield depth chart for 2013.
So there has to be an odd man out this winter.
Gomes served as an emotional leader for the American League West champions this year while posting a cool .868 OPS in 333 plate appearances. But there simply isn’t a spot for him alongside Yoenis Cespedes, Josh Reddick, Collin Cowgill, Coco Crisp and now Young. The 31-year-old Gomes will be in search of a multi-year deal from a new team.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)