Oct 20, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
Chris Young’s arrival Saturday from Arizona gives Oakland a crowded outfield depth chart for 2013.
So there has to be an odd man out this winter.
Gomes served as an emotional leader for the American League West champions this year while posting a cool .868 OPS in 333 plate appearances. But there simply isn’t a spot for him alongside Yoenis Cespedes, Josh Reddick, Collin Cowgill, Coco Crisp and now Young. The 31-year-old Gomes will be in search of a multi-year deal from a new team.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)