Oct 20, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
Chris Young’s arrival Saturday from Arizona gives Oakland a crowded outfield depth chart for 2013.
So there has to be an odd man out this winter.
Gomes served as an emotional leader for the American League West champions this year while posting a cool .868 OPS in 333 plate appearances. But there simply isn’t a spot for him alongside Yoenis Cespedes, Josh Reddick, Collin Cowgill, Coco Crisp and now Young. The 31-year-old Gomes will be in search of a multi-year deal from a new team.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 34
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)