Oct 20, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
Chris Young’s arrival Saturday from Arizona gives Oakland a crowded outfield depth chart for 2013.
So there has to be an odd man out this winter.
Gomes served as an emotional leader for the American League West champions this year while posting a cool .868 OPS in 333 plate appearances. But there simply isn’t a spot for him alongside Yoenis Cespedes, Josh Reddick, Collin Cowgill, Coco Crisp and now Young. The 31-year-old Gomes will be in search of a multi-year deal from a new team.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)