Oct 20, 2012, 12:02 PM EST
After letting go of bench coach Joe Pettini yesterday, new Astros manager Bo Porter is close to completing his new coaching staff.
According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros confirmed yesterday that they have hired former Orioles manager Dave Trembley for a yet-to-be-announced position while John Mallee will serve as hitting coach. Trembley has spent the past two seasons as the minor league field coordinator for the Braves while Mallee most recently worked as hitting coach with the Marlins from 2010-2011.
There will be a couple of holdovers from Brad Mills‘ staff, as Doug Brocail will return as pitching coach after taking over for Brad Arnsberg in June of 2011. Dave Clark will also stick around after serving as third base coach for the past four seasons, though his role could change under Porter.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)