Oct 20, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
After letting go of bench coach Joe Pettini yesterday, new Astros manager Bo Porter is close to completing his new coaching staff.
According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros confirmed yesterday that they have hired former Orioles manager Dave Trembley for a yet-to-be-announced position while John Mallee will serve as hitting coach. Trembley has spent the past two seasons as the minor league field coordinator for the Braves while Mallee most recently worked as hitting coach with the Marlins from 2010-2011.
There will be a couple of holdovers from Brad Mills‘ staff, as Doug Brocail will return as pitching coach after taking over for Brad Arnsberg in June of 2011. Dave Clark will also stick around after serving as third base coach for the past four seasons, though his role could change under Porter.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)