Oct 20, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
After letting go of bench coach Joe Pettini yesterday, new Astros manager Bo Porter is close to completing his new coaching staff.
According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros confirmed yesterday that they have hired former Orioles manager Dave Trembley for a yet-to-be-announced position while John Mallee will serve as hitting coach. Trembley has spent the past two seasons as the minor league field coordinator for the Braves while Mallee most recently worked as hitting coach with the Marlins from 2010-2011.
There will be a couple of holdovers from Brad Mills‘ staff, as Doug Brocail will return as pitching coach after taking over for Brad Arnsberg in June of 2011. Dave Clark will also stick around after serving as third base coach for the past four seasons, though his role could change under Porter.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 28
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)