Oct 20, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
After letting go of bench coach Joe Pettini yesterday, new Astros manager Bo Porter is close to completing his new coaching staff.
According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros confirmed yesterday that they have hired former Orioles manager Dave Trembley for a yet-to-be-announced position while John Mallee will serve as hitting coach. Trembley has spent the past two seasons as the minor league field coordinator for the Braves while Mallee most recently worked as hitting coach with the Marlins from 2010-2011.
There will be a couple of holdovers from Brad Mills‘ staff, as Doug Brocail will return as pitching coach after taking over for Brad Arnsberg in June of 2011. Dave Clark will also stick around after serving as third base coach for the past four seasons, though his role could change under Porter.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)