Oct 20, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
While CC Sabathia refuses to blame his left elbow for his poor performance in Game 4 of the ALCS against the Tigers on Thursday, he told George A. King of the New York Post today that he’s a little concerned about his upcoming visit to Dr. James Andrews.
“A little bit,” the Yankees ace said Saturday regarding his level of worry. “It’s something I never felt before. … I’ve never had a problem with the elbow.”
Sabathia had a brief stint on the disabled list in August due to elbow soreness, but he was very effective upon his return, posting a 2.93 ERA over his final eight starts during the regular season. The southpaw allowed three runs over 17 2/3 innings during two starts in the ALDS against the Orioles until his clunker on Thursday.
An MRI in August ruled out any structural damage in the elbow while Sabathia maintains that his elbow didn’t affect him during games and was only an issue between starts. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told David Lennon of the New York Daily News today that Sabathia will see Dr. Andrews “in about 10 days,” so we should get an answer on his status soon.
Sabathia tossed exactly 200 innings this season, his sixth consecutive 200-inning campaign and the seventh of his 12-year major league career. The 32-year-old southpaw is under contract for at least another four years and $99 million.
UPDATE: Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York was told by a source that Sabathia probably just needs a bone spur cleaned out of his elbow. He’s not expected to have any ligament damage, so it’s not considered serious. As of now, it sounds like he’ll be good to go for the 2013 season.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)