Oct 20, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
While CC Sabathia refuses to blame his left elbow for his poor performance in Game 4 of the ALCS against the Tigers on Thursday, he told George A. King of the New York Post today that he’s a little concerned about his upcoming visit to Dr. James Andrews.
“A little bit,” the Yankees ace said Saturday regarding his level of worry. “It’s something I never felt before. … I’ve never had a problem with the elbow.”
Sabathia had a brief stint on the disabled list in August due to elbow soreness, but he was very effective upon his return, posting a 2.93 ERA over his final eight starts during the regular season. The southpaw allowed three runs over 17 2/3 innings during two starts in the ALDS against the Orioles until his clunker on Thursday.
An MRI in August ruled out any structural damage in the elbow while Sabathia maintains that his elbow didn’t affect him during games and was only an issue between starts. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told David Lennon of the New York Daily News today that Sabathia will see Dr. Andrews “in about 10 days,” so we should get an answer on his status soon.
Sabathia tossed exactly 200 innings this season, his sixth consecutive 200-inning campaign and the seventh of his 12-year major league career. The 32-year-old southpaw is under contract for at least another four years and $99 million.
UPDATE: Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York was told by a source that Sabathia probably just needs a bone spur cleaned out of his elbow. He’s not expected to have any ligament damage, so it’s not considered serious. As of now, it sounds like he’ll be good to go for the 2013 season.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)