Oct 20, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
Jeter battled foot and ankle injuries down the stretch, but he suffered the fracture while trying to make a play on a ground ball in the 12th inning in Game 1 of the ALCS against the Tigers last Saturday. He’s expected to need 4-5 months of recovery time, which puts him on pace to be ready somewhere around the start of spring training in February if all goes well.
Any setbacks could put Jeter at risk for missing the start of the 2013 season, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com this week that a shortstop isn’t on his offseason shopping list and that he’s prepared to forge ahead with Eduardo Nunez and Jayson Nix as backups.
“I haven’t looked at that at this stage,” Cashman said. “We do have Eduardo Nunez, we have Jayson Nix [as backups]. So it’s not something we’ve focused on, and I wouldn’t think that that’s something I would gravitate to.”
Jeter, 38, continued to defy father time this year by batting .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and a .791 OPS while leading the majors with 216 hits. He is owed $17 million next season while his contract includes an $8 million player option or $3 million buyout for 2014.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)