Oct 20, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Jeter battled foot and ankle injuries down the stretch, but he suffered the fracture while trying to make a play on a ground ball in the 12th inning in Game 1 of the ALCS against the Tigers last Saturday. He’s expected to need 4-5 months of recovery time, which puts him on pace to be ready somewhere around the start of spring training in February if all goes well.
Any setbacks could put Jeter at risk for missing the start of the 2013 season, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com this week that a shortstop isn’t on his offseason shopping list and that he’s prepared to forge ahead with Eduardo Nunez and Jayson Nix as backups.
“I haven’t looked at that at this stage,” Cashman said. “We do have Eduardo Nunez, we have Jayson Nix [as backups]. So it’s not something we’ve focused on, and I wouldn’t think that that’s something I would gravitate to.”
Jeter, 38, continued to defy father time this year by batting .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and a .791 OPS while leading the majors with 216 hits. He is owed $17 million next season while his contract includes an $8 million player option or $3 million buyout for 2014.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)