Oct 20, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT
The Red Sox are currently in negotiations with the Blue Jays in an effort to secure John Farrell as their new manager, but they are also trying to keep a familiar face in the fold.
We heard earlier this week that Ortiz is looking for a two-year deal in the range of $25-30 million. While he turns 37 in November and is coming off a season-ending Achilles injury, he has a pretty good case for the multi-year deal he has long coveted. Building off a resurgent 2011 campaign, Ortiz batted .318/.415/.611 with 23 home runs, 60 RBI and a 1.026 OPS in 90 games this year.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)