Jose Valverde says he has fixed a mechanical flaw

Oct 21, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT

jose valverde getty Getty Images

Tigers right-hander Jose Valverde has been dreadful this postseason, yielding seven earned runs in just 2 1/3 innings. But he wants to participate in the World Series and thinks he is ready to be more effective.

According to beat writer Jason Beck of MLB.com, Valverde made around 20 throws in a simulated game against Tigers minor leaguers on Saturday afternoon at a crowdless Comerica Park and noticed significant improvement with his delivery.

“A lot,” said Valverde. “I open too much. I do too much stuff with my hands. That’s what I’ve been working on the last couple days with [pitching coach Jeff Jones], and now it’s over.”

Phil Coke served as the Tigers’ closer-by-default last round against the Yankees and will probably remain in that role for the Fall Classic. But a refreshed Valverde would be nice for the Detroit ‘pen.

1. Old Gator - Oct 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I wish I had a nickel for every time Heath Bell announced he had gone into the shop and had his “mechanical flaws” repaired last season. Well, we’ve all had shops like that – you take your car in to get a wiper motor replaced, it comes out with a bad muffler. You take it back to get the muffler replaced and bring it home with wonky wipers again because the shop got the wiper motor it charged you MOPAR list for at the local junkyard. I suppose it’s the one positive consequence of our mindless Cuban embargo that they aren’t buying wholesale lots of 1957 Chevy parts and packaging them in MOPAR knockoff boxes. Ah well. At least when they retool Heath Bell out there in horned toad heaven, the reconditioned gears and sprockets they fit him with won’t show much salt corrosion or rust.

2. kiwicricket - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Is ‘sucking’ a ‘mechanical flaw’?

• Old Gator - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM

If it relates to your fuel line, yes….

• indaburg - Oct 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Depending on how it’s done, yes.

3. sabatimus - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Valverde must’ve found a more covert way of hiding his spitball.

4. historiophiliac - Oct 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I sincerely hope Valverde was just having a mechanical issue that needed tuning. When he’s doing well, I enjoy him — although most times he makes me nervous. I hope batters are as confused as I am when he’s on the mound. Plus, it’s dangerous to put so much faith in Coke. I’m still having flashbacks from a game against Texas I went to in August. Verlander started and it was tied up in the 9th until Coke came in and gave up the winning run — which wouldn’t still sting so much if it were the only time Coke had given up runs this season (cf. losses against the ChiSox and Twins and BloSox). I’m thankful Coke is doing well right now — but nervous as hell because this is atypical of him.

Ack, ack! Playoff baseball.

• indaburg - Oct 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM

That is what makes play-off baseball so much fun. Guys coming out of nowhere to produce at a level they never have before the post-season, unlikely heroes. Of course, the fact that Coke was pitching against the stone cold, lefty leaning post-season Yankees line-up (with Jeter and A-Rod out) probably skewed Coke’s results towards the positive. The real test will come in the WS, especially if your team faces the Cards, a team with a history of success against lefties. I’m pulling for Papa Grande though. I hope Leyland’s faith in him is rewarded.

5. pisano - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Valverde is just trying to save face, and as historiophillac stated, I wouldn’t be all that trusting of Coke. He had a good run against the Yankees, but a high school reliever could have retired that bunch of strikeout artist. The weak link for the Tigers will be the pen.

6. tmohr - Oct 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

“I found a delivery in my flaw.”

Dan Quisenberry, we still miss you.

• deepstblu - Oct 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I thought of that line as soon as I saw the headline. This commenting crew rarely lets you down.

7. ericellers - Oct 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Over the top poor display of under achieving theatrics is considered a mechanical flaw? And why would he fix that if it were broken?

8. richwizl - Oct 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Put me in, Coach, I’m ready to play. Would be a lift for DET if it is true.

9. elwaysmilehighdenver - Oct 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Phil Coke is the Tigers Cola closer!
    Valturdy should not be allowed back into
    the clubhouse.