Oct 21, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
No, really, they weren’t trying to deceive buyers. It was a totally innocent case of simply wanting more money.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times tells the story of Mariners fan Dave Hope, who was stunned to see his season-ticket price plan go up $692 when he got his bill this month.
When the Mariners sent out a mass email renewal letter to season-ticket holders, they said nothing about increasing prices. Season-ticket packages climbed as much as 7 percent in certain areas of the ballpark, and partial packages were up as high as 11 percent. However, some less desirable seats actually had their ticket prices cut by three percent.
“It varies from section to section,” Mariners senior VP Randy Adamack said. “That’s why it’s difficult to show on the map.”
Huh? What? It would have been remarkably easy to show on a map. In fact, that’s exactly what you should have done.
In their defense, Mariners tickets are still better priced than most. Still, the team has finished in last place three straight year, attendance has declined five straight years and payroll has dropped four straight years. A price hike is going to be a very tough sell.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 35
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 47
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 27
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)