Oct 21, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
No, really, they weren’t trying to deceive buyers. It was a totally innocent case of simply wanting more money.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times tells the story of Mariners fan Dave Hope, who was stunned to see his season-ticket price plan go up $692 when he got his bill this month.
When the Mariners sent out a mass email renewal letter to season-ticket holders, they said nothing about increasing prices. Season-ticket packages climbed as much as 7 percent in certain areas of the ballpark, and partial packages were up as high as 11 percent. However, some less desirable seats actually had their ticket prices cut by three percent.
“It varies from section to section,” Mariners senior VP Randy Adamack said. “That’s why it’s difficult to show on the map.”
Huh? What? It would have been remarkably easy to show on a map. In fact, that’s exactly what you should have done.
In their defense, Mariners tickets are still better priced than most. Still, the team has finished in last place three straight year, attendance has declined five straight years and payroll has dropped four straight years. A price hike is going to be a very tough sell.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 11
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 212
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (212)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (139)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)