Oct 21, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
No, really, they weren’t trying to deceive buyers. It was a totally innocent case of simply wanting more money.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times tells the story of Mariners fan Dave Hope, who was stunned to see his season-ticket price plan go up $692 when he got his bill this month.
When the Mariners sent out a mass email renewal letter to season-ticket holders, they said nothing about increasing prices. Season-ticket packages climbed as much as 7 percent in certain areas of the ballpark, and partial packages were up as high as 11 percent. However, some less desirable seats actually had their ticket prices cut by three percent.
“It varies from section to section,” Mariners senior VP Randy Adamack said. “That’s why it’s difficult to show on the map.”
Huh? What? It would have been remarkably easy to show on a map. In fact, that’s exactly what you should have done.
In their defense, Mariners tickets are still better priced than most. Still, the team has finished in last place three straight year, attendance has declined five straight years and payroll has dropped four straight years. A price hike is going to be a very tough sell.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)