Oct 21, 2012, 10:41 PM EDT
The Giants got to Chris Carpenter early and took advantage of one of the best performances of Ryan Vogelsong‘s career to win 6-1 in Sunday night’s Game 6 and send the NLCS to a decisive Game 7 on Monday.
Vogelsong retired 14 of the first 15 batters he faced and struck out a career-high nine in his gem. He ended up allowing one run and four hits over seven innings.
The remaining four runs off Carpenter came in the second. Brandon Belt tripled to open the frame. Carpenter rebounded to strike out Gregor Blanco, but then the decision was made to walk Brandon Crawford ahead of Vogelsong, potentially setting up an inning-ending double play. Instead, shortstop Pete Kozma booted Vogelsong’s grounder, scoring a run and setting up the big inning. After Angel Pagan struck out, Scutaro and Sandoval both collected hits, resulting in three unearned runs for Carpenter.
Monday’s Game 7 will feature Kyle Lohse and Matt Cain in a rematch of Game 3. The Cardinals won that one, 3-1, in St. Louis. Lohse is 2-0 with a 1.96 ERA in his three postseason starts, while Cain is 1-2 with a 4.67 ERA.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)