Oct 21, 2012, 10:41 PM EDT
The Giants got to Chris Carpenter early and took advantage of one of the best performances of Ryan Vogelsong‘s career to win 6-1 in Sunday night’s Game 6 and send the NLCS to a decisive Game 7 on Monday.
Vogelsong retired 14 of the first 15 batters he faced and struck out a career-high nine in his gem. He ended up allowing one run and four hits over seven innings.
The remaining four runs off Carpenter came in the second. Brandon Belt tripled to open the frame. Carpenter rebounded to strike out Gregor Blanco, but then the decision was made to walk Brandon Crawford ahead of Vogelsong, potentially setting up an inning-ending double play. Instead, shortstop Pete Kozma booted Vogelsong’s grounder, scoring a run and setting up the big inning. After Angel Pagan struck out, Scutaro and Sandoval both collected hits, resulting in three unearned runs for Carpenter.
Monday’s Game 7 will feature Kyle Lohse and Matt Cain in a rematch of Game 3. The Cardinals won that one, 3-1, in St. Louis. Lohse is 2-0 with a 1.96 ERA in his three postseason starts, while Cain is 1-2 with a 4.67 ERA.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 26
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)