Oct 21, 2012, 10:41 PM EDT
The Giants got to Chris Carpenter early and took advantage of one of the best performances of Ryan Vogelsong‘s career to win 6-1 in Sunday night’s Game 6 and send the NLCS to a decisive Game 7 on Monday.
Vogelsong retired 14 of the first 15 batters he faced and struck out a career-high nine in his gem. He ended up allowing one run and four hits over seven innings.
The remaining four runs off Carpenter came in the second. Brandon Belt tripled to open the frame. Carpenter rebounded to strike out Gregor Blanco, but then the decision was made to walk Brandon Crawford ahead of Vogelsong, potentially setting up an inning-ending double play. Instead, shortstop Pete Kozma booted Vogelsong’s grounder, scoring a run and setting up the big inning. After Angel Pagan struck out, Scutaro and Sandoval both collected hits, resulting in three unearned runs for Carpenter.
Monday’s Game 7 will feature Kyle Lohse and Matt Cain in a rematch of Game 3. The Cardinals won that one, 3-1, in St. Louis. Lohse is 2-0 with a 1.96 ERA in his three postseason starts, while Cain is 1-2 with a 4.67 ERA.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)