Oct 21, 2012, 10:41 PM EST
The Giants got to Chris Carpenter early and took advantage of one of the best performances of Ryan Vogelsong‘s career to win 6-1 in Sunday night’s Game 6 and send the NLCS to a decisive Game 7 on Monday.
Vogelsong retired 14 of the first 15 batters he faced and struck out a career-high nine in his gem. He ended up allowing one run and four hits over seven innings.
The remaining four runs off Carpenter came in the second. Brandon Belt tripled to open the frame. Carpenter rebounded to strike out Gregor Blanco, but then the decision was made to walk Brandon Crawford ahead of Vogelsong, potentially setting up an inning-ending double play. Instead, shortstop Pete Kozma booted Vogelsong’s grounder, scoring a run and setting up the big inning. After Angel Pagan struck out, Scutaro and Sandoval both collected hits, resulting in three unearned runs for Carpenter.
Monday’s Game 7 will feature Kyle Lohse and Matt Cain in a rematch of Game 3. The Cardinals won that one, 3-1, in St. Louis. Lohse is 2-0 with a 1.96 ERA in his three postseason starts, while Cain is 1-2 with a 4.67 ERA.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)