And That Happened: Monday’s playoff highlights

Oct 22, 2012, 5:45 AM EDT

Giants Celebration

Giants 6, Cardinals 1: And we head to Game 7, as the Giants continue to only really want to turn it on this post season once they’re facing elimination. And of course as everyone predicted it happened thanks to a great Ryan Vogelsong start which followed a great Barry Zito start which all came while people were hearing rumors that Tim Lincecum — who has been relegated to the bullpen — is on the trading block.

Baseball is one giant mindf**k sometimes.

In that Game 7 — which is under a pretty hefty threat of rain right now — we’ll see Matt Cain take on Kyle Lohse in a rematch of Game 3. Lohse won that one and has been fantastic this postseason. Cain, less so, but they guy can pitch a little and it’s definitely a strong matchup.

1. dondada10 - Oct 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Cardinals are pretty good in elimination games, too. This one is going to be good.

Meanwhile, it’s 6:27 and Sportscenter has spent about 17 seconds on the fact that this is happening tonight.

• kiwicricket - Oct 22, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Even more reason never to watch Sportscenter.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:17 AM

The people in San Francisco are more worried about Frank Gore’s ribs than they are about the Giants. We all know there are reasons the NFL’s regular season crushes Major League baseball in the TV ratings and they are sound reasons. But the fact still is that more people watch the NFL than watch baseball, so why wouldn’t SportsCenter spend more time on the NFL than on baseball?

• indaburg - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Who’s Frank Gore?

• kiwicricket - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I have no idea why “Stop-pause-commercial-go-stop-pause-commercial-go” is so popular, Chris.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:45 AM

The Philadelphia Eagles had the bye and I watched 12 hours of football yesterday.

Why?

1 – Gambling
        2 – Fantasy Football
        3 – Any Given Sunday

• kiwicricket - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Yes, all of those are legitimate arguments. I guess when you love a particular sport, you find that to be part of the base stock and not the garnishing around the plate.

I must admit, I do find it amusing remembering back to the rubbish you and bicepts spewed all over this bog about the Phils last season. Your comments put your Phandom more into perspective.

-I often gamble(legally) on baseball https://www.tab.co.nz/sport/
        -fantasy baseball
        -what the hell does ‘Any given Sunday’ mean? I hope you are not implying that in the NFL, any particular team has an equal chance of victory on the day than in baseball….especially after watching the A’s and O’s this past month.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Betting on baseball sucks. I do it when I’m in Vegas and there’s no football or basketball to bet on. But the only thing worse than betting on baseball is betting on hockey…and it’s just barely.

Fantasy baseball is only good if you are a fan of baseball. If you are only a fan of a team, and don’t watch the rest, it’s pretty much useless.

Football just has more action, at least in my opinion.

Regarding the so-called “rubbish” about the Phillies that was posted last year, I do believe that the thrust of most of my posts was that…

1) The Phillies would have a great 2011 regular season…they did.
        2) The Phillies would make the playoffs…they did.
        3) The playoffs are a crapshoot and they would struggle to score runs in the NLDS…they did.

I believe you can go back and read every single thing I wrote last year and you will NEVER read me say the words “The Phillies will win the World Series”. Ever. After 2010′s debacle against the Giants, those words weren’t coming out of my computer again.

p.s. don’t lump me in with that dope bicepts…he’s a borderline racist blowhard who has no clue.

• Tim's Neighbor - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Cool story, bro.

• sailcat54 - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Anyone who thinks the fans in NorCal are more interested in the Niners or the Raiders than the Giants weren’t in the country in ’10 when the Gigantes drove to a WS win. It’s all about baseball, baby! Go Giants!

• kiwicricket - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Watching illiterate neanderthals dancing becomes tedious after a while.
        I guess I feel the same way about football as you do about baseball.

Not sure if I am in the minority here, but stories, articles and analysis about baseball is exponentially more interesting than football. Partially target audience I imagine, but it lacks actual substance. PFT and their comments for example….

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM

kiwi, I agree with you 100% on the difference in comments sections between HBT and PFT. The quality of the commenting on here is far and away superior to the commenting on any football board I have ever read. To be honest though, the quality of commenting on this board really does beat any other sports blogging comment sections I have ever read. While I disagree more often than not with the posters here, it’s always been civil and very rarely personal.

• kiwicricket - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Chris,
        I agree. It’s actually funny on the weekends, this place morphs into some sort of bizarre animal house, void of anything interesting. Despite D.J and Drew writing some pretty interesting and amusing articles.

Didn’t mean to pair you with Bicepts in the way you mentioned.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

“You want to point to “stop-pause-commercial-etc” I’ll point to “step out of the box-step off the rubber-throw to first-grab crotch-spit tobacco-look down at third base coach-manager argues previous call-Braves fans throw bottles on field-take a nap-change hitter-change pitcher-change hitter again”…then…finally…if you’re still awake…Ball 1. I can ONLY take that when I have a rooting interest.”

I can’t tell you how dissapointed I am Fiorentino. The Phillies season has led you to bashing MLB? Really? Wow.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM

stlouis…I’ve always been honest that I am not a “baseball fan”. I’m a Phillies fan first…a Yankers hater second…and a Red Sox fan after that. If none of those teams are in, I’m usually out. I have found myself checking the score on a more regular basis as opposed to the last few years when the Phillies took my heart out of it. But I’m far and away more of a football fan, however, the PFT comments board stinks.

• Gamera the Brave - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Have you taken a poll?
        Most of the people I see out here – and it’s been like this for a couple of weeks – are wearing Giants shirts, lids, etc. I see very few people with Niners gear right now, although there are some.
        You are, in this case, empirically incorrect, based on my admittedly non-scientific research in this area…

• Old Gator - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I need to put in a quick word of defense, for the umpteenth time, on behalf of ‘cepts – who, I think it’s fair to say, surely doesn’t regard himself as any kind of friend of mine. Let’s say this is in the interests of fairness and accuracy. Whatever else his shortcomings may be, and whatever else his attitude issues are, the guy is no racist, borderline or otherwise. The “racist” tag got hung on him when he had the temerity to cite actual UNESCO (I believe) figures showing that the Dominican Republic had the highest incidence of domestic violence in the Caribbean in connection with a Dominican ballplayer (whose name I no longer remember) who was arrested here on a domestic violence charge. I well remember the shitstorm of cries of “racism” that accompanied that post, all of which I remember as complete P/C horseshit. So feel free to lambaste him for anything else you want. “Racist” is just plain wrong in his case.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM

OG, believe me I am the last person on the PC bandwagon. I don’t know anything about the UNESCO debate you referred to, but when a guy posts and tweets with complaints because there is a Spanish version of ESPN in the US, to me, he is “borderline racist”. To say we shouldn’t have any other language channels in the USA except English…well, to me, that’s beyond Political Correctness and right into Xenophobia.

• Old Gator - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Chris – since I don’t infest Twitter I wouldn’t have seen that, but if so, it’s indeed an unfortunate spasm of xeniophobia on his part. Disappointing, indeed.

2. kiwicricket - Oct 22, 2012 at 6:48 AM

A.J throwing the ball at Reynolds in the pregame instructional was pretty funny. I can’t believe he actually did it.

Brian Wilson is like a giant(no pun intended) 12yr old.

• Old Gator - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Speaking of giant twelve year olds, Tom Hanks is starring in the film version of David Mitchell’s wonderful novel Cloud Atlas, which opens at the end of this week. I usually approach the film of a novel I love with timorous circumspection, but I frankly can’t wait to see this one. I would have thought this book unfilmable but everything I’ve read about the movie suggests they found a way – and an oblique, out-of-the-box way, too.

I think I’ll just put some Frobisher sonatas on the turntable and get myself in the mood. One does not live by playoffs alone.

3. sreske93 - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Why are they replaying game six tonight?

4. APBA Guy - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It’s raining really hard right now, about 10:00 am in the Bay Area. If this keeps up, and it’s supposed to get “sporadic” as the day progresses, we could be talking about Game 7 on Tuesday, etc.

On the other hand, if the skies part slightly and Game 7 is played tonight, I can guarantee you that the stadium will be loud. The Oakland fans showed the AT & T crowd how it’s supposed to behave in the post-season, and the Giants fans were in full voice last night.

Matt Cain has not been his best so far, but in this game, and facing Lohse who’s been very good, I expect/hope Cain will relax a bit and do what he’s been doing all regular season. That would make this a tense, taut, emotionally exciting thriller of a Game 7. Sounds like fun!

5. stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM

New Yorker had an article on the Wachowskis and their ordeals making the movie. Intrigued me about both the book and the movie. I would think the movie is a real crapshoot, but I intend to read the book.

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Missed the reply button above, Gator. Note is for you.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3842)