Oct 22, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
If you’ve watched the playoffs you’ve probably seen the State Farm insurance commercial featuring Kerry Wood pulling Andre Dawson out of the ivy at Wrigley Field.
It’s been playing on a non-stop loop all month, although it’s amusing enough that the baseball-watching world hasn’t completely turned against it and Dawson is loving the reaction.
“It’s been off the charts,” Dawson told Mike Bernardino of the South Florida Sun Sentinel. “Everywhere I go, people are saying, ‘Hey, I saw the commercial. Good job.’ Now I’ve got more friends than I can imagine.”
Bernardino has the details on how the commercial was shot:
Turns out there was no green-screen technology required to make the “Hawk” look like he’d been stuck in the famed ivy all these years. All it took was a rectangular table, some makeup-room magic and a little extra ivy to cover up a door in the right-field wall. The production crew opened the now-hidden door and had Dawson, 58, lie Superman-style on the sheet-covered table. Each time Wood reached in, Dawson would hand him a different item.
It’s nowhere near the worst constantly running commercial of the postseason and if nothing else seeing Wood and Dawson a million times beats “Frank TV.”
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)