Oct 22, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
When it comes to collecting terrible-hitting former Angels catchers the Blue Jays just can’t help themselves.
Wilson spent this season backing up Chris Iannetta, but was forced into extended duty by Iannetta’s broken wrist and ended up hitting .211 with a .569 OPS in 75 games. At age 30 he’s purely backup material at best.
His departure does open the door for 24-year-old prospect Hank Conger to take over as Ianneta’s new backup, although after the Angels signed Iannetta to a three-year, $15.5 million extension last month it wouldn’t be surprising if they look to trade Conger this winter.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)