Oct 22, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
When it comes to collecting terrible-hitting former Angels catchers the Blue Jays just can’t help themselves.
Wilson spent this season backing up Chris Iannetta, but was forced into extended duty by Iannetta’s broken wrist and ended up hitting .211 with a .569 OPS in 75 games. At age 30 he’s purely backup material at best.
His departure does open the door for 24-year-old prospect Hank Conger to take over as Ianneta’s new backup, although after the Angels signed Iannetta to a three-year, $15.5 million extension last month it wouldn’t be surprising if they look to trade Conger this winter.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)