Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos is annoyed with Red Sox

Oct 22, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Alex Anthopoulos Reuters

Toronto got some compensation for losing manager John Farrell to Boston in the form of infielder Mike Aviles, but Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos was less than thrilled about the whole situation and particularly annoyed with how the Red Sox handled some aspects of the talks:

There was a lot of, to be completely candid, gamesmanship and a lot of things that went on from a negotiating standpoint. Not on our end, just a lot of things that were coming out that were completely false. We’re pretty good in terms of not putting things out there in the media and leaking things or saying things. The upsetting part for me were how many false reports were out there that I didn’t think were fair to John or to myself or to the organization.

Leaking information to the media is nothing new for the Red Sox, including the whole beer and fried chicken in the clubhouse mess, the tearing down of Terry Francona on his way out the door, and basically everything involving Bobby Valentine. It’s interesting to see how someone outside the organization reacts to information finding its way to the media, especially since Anthopoulos has quickly earned a reputation for playing things close to the vest publicly. He got involved with the Red Sox and suddenly every aspect of the negotiations were being reported on daily.

1. sdelmonte - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

If he really didn’t like things, he could have said no, couldn’t he?

• proudlycanadian - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Tampering is against the rules of MLB, but the Red Sox found a way to do it. They went out and leaked over and over that they wanted to hire Farrell in order to stroke his ego. After AA came back from a short vacation in October, Farrell went to him and told him that managing the Red Sox was his dream job. AA had been quite clear in his public statements that he wanted Farrell to manage the Jays in 2013. Once Farrell said that he wanted to go, AA had little choice. Would anyone want an employee who openly wanted to manage elsewhere? The Red Sox were also leaking that they would offer a turkey such as Bard whom the Jays have hit hard, or a “suspect” in their minor league system. AA then decided to hold out for a player off the major league roster, or make the Red Sox and Farrell to sit and twirl.

Farrell is still unproven as a major league manager, and may become a very good one in the future. I am not as down on him as some Jay fans were; however, I sure hope that this situation blows up in the face of the Red Sox and that they will be looking for another manager in a couple of years.

There are other baseball people who have reason to be pissed off at the Red Sox. Specifically, I am referring to the people who in good faith, just went through interviews with the Red Sox for the managers job. Those guys were screwed by the Red Sox.

• jaysjunkie - Oct 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM

“I am not as down on him as some Jay fans were”…my hand is up on that one.

Some great points, pc, especially the one about the other poor bastards that were interviewed…I hadn’t even considered that. The more I think about it, the more I really hope Farrell in Boston turns into Francona and Valentine part 3. I get the allure of being part of a historic franchise, but the mountains of bullshit you have to deal with surely can’t be worth it, can it?

• Glenn - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

The Jays got a starting shortstop for a guy they really don’t want anymore. What kind of compensation did other teams get for mangers or GMs? Not much. I think the leaky Sox screwed themselves.

2. proudlycanadian - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The Red Sox leak like a sieve. I have no respect for the management of that team. In my opinion they are complete scumbags. Just hope that the AL East bottom fieders. have a worse year next season than they had this year.

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Get in line… and it is a long line.

• professorperry - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I’m a Red Sox fan. Have been my whole life. Maybe some of my past lives too.

I … hate … the way this organization handles the media. There was that brief period when Theo was hired when everything seemed to click together. I miss it.

• 18thstreet - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Media leaks scuttled the A-Rod for Manny and Lester trade before the 2004 season.

Stop inventing history.

• daisycutter1 - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Same with the Teixeira FA signing. All the leaks – and the public pressure – from the Red Sox FO reportedly turned off Teixeira.

• daisycutter1 - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM

(No edit function…)

IIRC, the public nature of the Red Sox pursuit of Teixeira also allowed the Yankees to have a better idea what was being offered rather than the usual agent-supplied (as in playing one team off another) or backchannel numbers.

• yankeesgameday - Oct 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM

You want to have a beef with the ownership and GM of a team try being a Dallas Cowboy fan for a week or two.

• heyblueyoustink - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM

You know, people rightfully rip Donald Sterling with the Clippers, the NHL for uprooting teams, and a guy like Art Modell was forever villified in Cleveland.

But this bunch of douchebags, the Red Sox, I would never want to work for. What kind pf petulant child thinks it’s a good idea to publicly taunt, rat out, threaten, whatever, anyone they employ or interact with as they see fit.

They might be the one sports franchise that even if ever offered a position anywhere, i’d decline. They’d probably hire a bully to beat up the bat boy in his school if he crossed the line, and would make sure the school paper was there to report it.

• sabatimus - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

And this invariably happens in Boston, on a cyclical basis, regardless of ownership: the owner(s) at some point alienate personnel, and then run them out of town when it suits them. (Francona, Fisk, etc). As a Sox fan, this royally disgusts me, and does no good at all. The only thing it does is exhibit how flaky, egotistical, and power-hungry the owners get.

And they extended Lucchino, which is further proof of MO.

3. amaninwhite - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I imagine it would be hard to say no when it seemed like Farrell really wanted the Boston job. Alex probably just did what he could to make the best of a bad situation.

4. cur68 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

To Alex Anthopolous; dealing with the BoSox Front Office is like trying to stay clean in a pig pen. Good luck with THAT.

On a personal note, I find this whole business inexplicable. The media in that town are poo-flinging monkeys, the front office pretty much keep tar and feathers in their file cabinets under “E” for “Exit Interview”, and the team’s best player, Alex Gonzalez, is gone. Add to that Farrell was no help to the Beaver Men starting rotation when it was intact, the BoSox SR is a mess already, and his young player leadership seemed absent; I’m not sure why either side wants the other. I’m not sure why AA is upset, even. He’s rid of Farrell. He had to be in the path of monkey aim to do it, but its not like this reflects poorly in him. If you ask me, this is nearly as good as the Vernon Wells slight-of-hand trade.

Well off ya go, Mr. Farrell. Good luck in Boston. Seemed like a nice enough fella so I wish him well. Now though, AA has to get someone in to fill those shoes. Could be a bench guy, I suppose. Frankly the only persons on the bench that seemed able to do their job at an MLB level are Duane Murphy and Bruce Walton. When Cito Gaston was in charge he turned the hitters over to Murphy and they hit a ton. Gaston had Walton to coach Marcum, Romero & Morrow and the kids were en fuego. Under Farrell all the hitters but E5 & Davis regressed (and they were arguably the products of either off season coaching or Murphy). Don’t get me started on the rotation under Farrell. Disaster City. Farrell added nothing as far as i could tell and mostly seemed to cause a kind of pervasive low level harm to performance. Anthopolous is well rid of him and could look at either Murphy or Walton as managers. Even Wakamatsu might be good. If I had my druthers, though: Dave Martinez. Get some of that Maddon Magic in the clubhouse.

• denbish - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Alex Gonzalez was a force at shortstop…but the team’s best player? Great rant….hope it made sense to someone.

• 1baseballfan - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Think he meant Adrian.

• cur68 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Yep. Saw that 2 seconds after I hit Post Comment and said “doh!” Then crossed fingers and hoped for TLDR and then went off to do some useful work. Now of course its there for all to see AND a “you made a mistake, ha-ha” comment to boot. Of course this just means I’ll be looking over your comments for substantive errors now. Its nice to have a mission in life, isn’t it? Well, enjoy the commenting, proof read carefully and remember: there is no Edit Function so one day…one day real soon…

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Cur,

I wasn’t close enough to know all the ins and outs. But it sounds to me to be more about integrity in business than about the quality of the manager involved. And evidence from other issues with the RS this year would seem to support that.

And you just described what I think most good managers do. They don’t really add much, they just try not to create much harm. TLR excluded.

• cur68 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM

That’s the thing, Stex: Farrell created harm. His pitchers wrecked his hitters didn’t hit, the non-playing shenanigans were ridiculous (can you imagine Alex Avilla with Escobar eye black statements in Boston? Would that shit-storm ever end?), the young guys were off leash. It was bad enough that even Omar Vizquel was making comment. The situation in TO was EXACTLY as bad as the BoSox under Valentine yet there was nowhere near the outcry. Farrell to Boston? Yeah, that’s Bobby Valentine 2.0.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Now though, AA has to get someone in to fill those shoes

So AA couldn’t include all the red sox interviews as part of the trade? I mean they did sit with a bunch of candidates, might as well just swap the process to Toronto.

• indaburg - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I know it would save time, but would you really want the Red Sox interviewing process? I imagine it something like this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/interview_questions

5. stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Welcome to the rest of the world, Alex. Oh, and good luck, John. Toughen up that skin for what looks to be a brutal year.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

How about a brutal decade for the Red Sox? They have earned a decade in the wilderness due to sheer arrogance.

• cur68 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I take a more wide angle view to the BoSox, PC. When they are on and its all working they pull fans into Skydome when they come to town. The AL Beast is a ton of fun and the chance to see the Empire brought low by the Town is can’t-miss stuff. A good Red Sox team is good for all baseball in general. THAT being said, the Beaver Wrestlers need them some on-field leadership and Farrell wasn’t getting that done. I don’t see Farrell managing that in Boston, either. It could well be a brutal decade there in Beantown. More’s the pity IMO.

6. richwizl - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

As a Red Sox fan I have to say, the Oakland A’s are amazing! Hats off to them and Billy Beane for being the best story in MLB this year.

7. ajsjr40 - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM

If the Red Sox organization had any clue they would have run the Farrell situation to closure before interviewing the good baseball people they did and screwing them over. There are way to many cooks in the kitchen with the Red Sox and that’s the reason they have so many leaks. If someone doesn’t like what someone else in the front office is doing you get a leak.

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Sounds like how we run the US Government. God help the RS.

• psousa1 - Oct 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

But you have to interview mulitple candidates – say the Farrell thing didn’t work out? Say Farrell quits or gets canned for some inexplicable reason in the next 2 years? You need to have a frame of referencce in which to work. I think everyone went into it with their eyes wide open.

The Blue Jays wanted to fire this guy but didn’t want to pay him for sitting out a year while they have another manager on the payroll. I’m sure they were more than happy to get a bag of balls for Farrell.

How about that jackass Epstein doing Cubs business in the Red Sox office? He knew he was going to the Cubs by June of 2011. People outside of the area believe he was the fair haired golden boy who was done wrong by the Red Sox. Bullshit. He took just as much out as he gave. Maybe more. John Henry gave him the company credit card and he starting treating that team like he was Cashman and the NYY in the Kevin Brown/Randy Johnson/Roger Clemens/Gary Sheffield days. He turned it into a train wreck and had no plan B.

He had a whole army of writers, most notably Peter Gammons, who did all his dirty work through the press.

This was a story about Farrell but I go on an Epstein rant because when I see posts about how this management leaks info – that was Epstein. Epstein and Youkilis are both gone and so are the leaks.

They’ll be back.

8. Gordon - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Farrell better bring the guy who dresses in all white, sits in the bleachers, and passes signs to hitters somehow. That guy was missing this year in Toronto.

• paint771 - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Yeah – see, we figured he was just a Blue Jays fan. But after 2011 giving signals to hitters, this year he just went out and beat up all our pitchers. Turns out dude just hates pitchers.

9. randygnyc - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM

The red sox organization is full of scumbags, top to bottom.

10. timpaz - Oct 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The Red Sox prove once again they are a classless organization.

11. sidelineshot - Oct 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Wax-figure-like Red Sox president Larry Lucchino is the one without class.
    GM Ben Cherrington is cool.

12. thesmedman - Oct 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Alex,

Get over it. You got rid of a manager you didn’t get along with. You’re getting some decent baseball talent for him, too.

Now, how about hiring a manager with some proven managerial experience? Gene Lamont, Larry Bowa, Tony Pena, good to look at, but certainly not the end of that barrel.

13. thebadguyswon - Oct 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM

What a classless, scumbag organization.

14. slartibartfast4242 - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

In life we all have to do one thing or another with someone we are annoyed with. Take my wife for example, she’s perpetually annoyed with me, but still lets me sleep with her.

15. xpensivewinos - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

So let me get this straight. Anthopoulos is whining to the press about how the Red Sox deal with the press?

Whatever.

Farrell has not proven to be a great manager so far and 2013 could very well have been his last year there anyway………he leveraged no leverage and got a decent player for him, but instead of whining, he should have been more focused on forcing the Red Sox to take Lind’s bad contract. You want Farrell, take my 7 million dollar albatross…….

16. defiantgiant66 - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Everyone in the T Dot knew Farrell was not going to be here for long…JF is and always will be a RS at heart. I wish him luck, he’s going to need it in Bean Town.

When is comes to dealing with the Sox, you lay down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. We in the AL East know this is oh so well…

On the topic of his replacement, my vote is for Brian Butterfield. BB has been with the club since 02, has the respect of the entire organisation and the Jay’s fanbase. He was shortlisted for the job in 2010, but lost to Farrell. IMO, now is the time to give him the job.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3993)