Oct 22, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Now that the Red Sox have found a manager they’re focused on re-signing David Ortiz and the 36-year-old designated hitter seems optimistic about a deal getting done before he hits the open market as a free agent.
“Hopefully we get it done by the end of the World Series,” Ortiz said, via Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston. “I know what’s fair and I know guys my age aren’t going to get three-, four- or five-year deals anymore, so I want to play two more and if things go good I’ll continue to play.”
In other words, he’s trying to talk the Red Sox into a two-year contract despite missing nearly the entire second half with an Achilles’ tendon injury.
Ortiz played this season on a one-year, $14.58 million contract and topped a 1.000 OPS for the first time since 2007, hitting .318 with 23 homers and 26 doubles in 90 games.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)