David Ortiz optimistic about re-signing with Red Sox

Oct 22, 2012, 10:15 AM EST

David Ortiz Getty Images

Now that the Red Sox have found a manager they’re focused on re-signing David Ortiz and the 36-year-old designated hitter seems optimistic about a deal getting done before he hits the open market as a free agent.

“Hopefully we get it done by the end of the World Series,” Ortiz said, via Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston. “I know what’s fair and I know guys my age aren’t going to get three-, four- or five-year deals anymore, so I want to play two more and if things go good I’ll continue to play.”

In other words, he’s trying to talk the Red Sox into a two-year contract despite missing nearly the entire second half with an Achilles’ tendon injury.

Ortiz played this season on a one-year, $14.58 million contract and topped a 1.000 OPS for the first time since 2007, hitting .318 with 23 homers and 26 doubles in 90 games.

1. uyf1950 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Why wouldn’t he be optimistic? He holds all the cards in this game. The Red Sox can hardly afford to let him walk.

• belichickrulz - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

He’s still in a walking cast, isn’t he? So how far can he go?

One year, $8 million would be my one and only offer. Let him test the market and see if he can top that.

• uyf1950 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

My friend, one year @ $8MM and he’s gone. No way he signs for that. There will be teams lining up for him at 2 years/$20MM total.

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

But that’s not the key question here. Do the RS think they can retool and be ready to compete in 2013? They keep talking like it’s a rebuilding year.

If so, what value is a high priced DH to them? If they can take 15 MM$ and use it to plug two or three other holes in the team, and they don’t figure to be in the playoff hunt, then he should walk.

He’ll get a contract, but it’s not clear to me that it is in the best interests of the RS to give him one.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Assuming, and it’s a big if, that he returns to form next year, a reasonable two year contract would make him great trade bait (he does have 10/5 rights though). Say he takes uyf’s contract, 2/20, and is putting up another 1.000 OPS season while the Sox rebuild, you think a team won’t trade for him?

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Fair enough, Church. That is one way to gamble that the value you have in owning his contract doesn’t walk. I’m not sure 2/20 will do it, though, from the way he talks. I have also forgotten how the new contract works. If they make him an offer, do they still get a draft choice when he bolts?

• uyf1950 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM

stex52, the Red Sox would have to make him a 1 year qualifying offer of about $13.3 to 13.5MM for the Red Sox to obtain a draft choice from whichever team would then sign him.

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Thanks. I’ll try to remember that now. I’d be on the fence about that one until they decide what they are going to do with the rest of the team.

The business of baseball can be tough.

2. ericellers - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

AGAIN!!!

Lets get this done Bosoxs. Put a face on this team cause its hard to be hate’n a sox team I don’t recognize.
    Big Sappy, he the Foe I know and love to diss! ;)

3. Paul White - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

This one seems pretty simple. The big concern is his health, not his production, so give him a one-year guarantee with a second year that vests once he hits some playing time targets.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4837)
  2. M. Kemp (3437)
  3. J. Upton (2510)
  4. J. Kang (2471)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2453)
  1. C. McGehee (2434)