Oct 22, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Dave Hansen was fired as the Dodgers’ hitting coach last month, but the Mariners have hired him to fill the same job.
Hansen replaces Chris Chambliss, who last month became the ninth hitting coach fired by the Mariners since 2000. In other words Hansen is stepping into a pretty tough job, although Seattle moving in the fences at Safeco Field should help the team’s raw offensive numbers some.
Hansen became the Dodgers’ hitting coach in the middle of last season after the team fired Jeff Pentland. Pentland found a new job as a Triple-A hitting coach for the Mariners and was added to the coaching staff in September to work alongside Chambliss. There was some thought that Pentland would get the job once Chambliss was fired, but instead a team has opted for Hansen over for him for the second time in 18 months.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)