Oct 22, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
If the Cardinals are going to win tonight, they will have to mount a more impressive comeback than Game 5 of the NLDS against the Nationals. Which is to say the odds are pretty long.
The Giants plated five runs in the bottom of the third inning to chase Kyle Lohse from the game and grab a 7-0 lead.
Marco Scutaro led off the third inning with a single before Pablo Sandoval doubled to left and Buster Posey drew a walk to load the bases. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny then pulled Lohse from the game and brought in Joe Kelly to face Hunter Pence. Pence followed with a bizarre broken-bat double which had enough spin on it to completely fool shortstop Pete Kozma. Jon Jay had trouble picking the ball up in center field, so all three baserunners came around to score. But the Giants were just getting started.
Kelly then gave up a single to Brandon Belt and walked Gregor Blanco to load the bases before Brandon Crawford hit a ground ball at Kozma, who decided to throw home rather than go for the out at first base. However, the throw was too late. Kelly managed to strike out Matt Cain for the first out and induced a would-be double play ground ball from Angel Pagan, but Kozma made a high throw to Daniel Descalso which caused a late throw to first base and allowed another run to score. This was not Kozma’s finest hour.
Kelly walked Scutaro before being replaced by Edward Mujica, who finally ended the marathon 30-minute frame by getting Pablo Sandoval to line out to first base. The Giants sent 11 men to the plate in the inning and have handed a commanding lead to Cain in Game 7. The Tigers await the winner.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 43
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 48
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)