Oct 22, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
If the Cardinals are going to win tonight, they will have to mount a more impressive comeback than Game 5 of the NLDS against the Nationals. Which is to say the odds are pretty long.
The Giants plated five runs in the bottom of the third inning to chase Kyle Lohse from the game and grab a 7-0 lead.
Marco Scutaro led off the third inning with a single before Pablo Sandoval doubled to left and Buster Posey drew a walk to load the bases. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny then pulled Lohse from the game and brought in Joe Kelly to face Hunter Pence. Pence followed with a bizarre broken-bat double which had enough spin on it to completely fool shortstop Pete Kozma. Jon Jay had trouble picking the ball up in center field, so all three baserunners came around to score. But the Giants were just getting started.
Kelly then gave up a single to Brandon Belt and walked Gregor Blanco to load the bases before Brandon Crawford hit a ground ball at Kozma, who decided to throw home rather than go for the out at first base. However, the throw was too late. Kelly managed to strike out Matt Cain for the first out and induced a would-be double play ground ball from Angel Pagan, but Kozma made a high throw to Daniel Descalso which caused a late throw to first base and allowed another run to score. This was not Kozma’s finest hour.
Kelly walked Scutaro before being replaced by Edward Mujica, who finally ended the marathon 30-minute frame by getting Pablo Sandoval to line out to first base. The Giants sent 11 men to the plate in the inning and have handed a commanding lead to Cain in Game 7. The Tigers await the winner.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 24
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)