Oct 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The Giants pushed their lead over the Cardinals to 2-0 in the bottom of the second inning thanks to a two-out RBI single by Matt Cain. Yes, you read that correctly.
Brandon Belt grounded out to begin the inning before Gregor Blanco reached on a single to right field. Blanco moved over to second base when Allen Craig made a diving stop of a ground ball off the bat of Brandon Crawford for the second out. However, Kyle Lohse hung one and Cain took advantage by lining it right up the middle and into center field. The Giants have RBI hits from their starting pitchers in three straight games.
Cain has tossed two scoreless innings so far tonight, but he has already thrown 46 pitches. While he might not be long for this game, he’s sure making an impact.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)