Oct 22, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The New York Post’s Mike Puma was told by a “Mets person” that the team plans to non-tender right-hander Mike Pelfrey, but will try to re-sign him as a free agent. A decision on whether to tender outfielder Andres Torres hasn’t been made.
Pelfrey underwent Tommy John surgery in May and is unlikely to be ready for the beginning of the season, so the decision to non-tender him was a no-brainer. If the Mets re-sign him, it figures to be for no more than half of the $5,687,500 he made this year.
Torres hit .230/.327/.337 with three homers and 13 steals in 374 at-bats in his first season for the Mets after coming over from the Giants along with reliever Ramon Ramirez in exchange for fellow center fielder Angel Pagan last winter. He made $2.7 million this year and likely would be due for a small raise in arbitration, so a move to non-tender is very likely. He’ll probably be viewed as a fourth outfielder going forward, and something closer to $1.5 million-$2 million is more appropriate for what he brings to the table.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)