Oct 22, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The New York Post’s Mike Puma was told by a “Mets person” that the team plans to non-tender right-hander Mike Pelfrey, but will try to re-sign him as a free agent. A decision on whether to tender outfielder Andres Torres hasn’t been made.
Pelfrey underwent Tommy John surgery in May and is unlikely to be ready for the beginning of the season, so the decision to non-tender him was a no-brainer. If the Mets re-sign him, it figures to be for no more than half of the $5,687,500 he made this year.
Torres hit .230/.327/.337 with three homers and 13 steals in 374 at-bats in his first season for the Mets after coming over from the Giants along with reliever Ramon Ramirez in exchange for fellow center fielder Angel Pagan last winter. He made $2.7 million this year and likely would be due for a small raise in arbitration, so a move to non-tender is very likely. He’ll probably be viewed as a fourth outfielder going forward, and something closer to $1.5 million-$2 million is more appropriate for what he brings to the table.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights