Oct 22, 2012, 6:03 PM EST
The New York Post’s Mike Puma was told by a “Mets person” that the team plans to non-tender right-hander Mike Pelfrey, but will try to re-sign him as a free agent. A decision on whether to tender outfielder Andres Torres hasn’t been made.
Pelfrey underwent Tommy John surgery in May and is unlikely to be ready for the beginning of the season, so the decision to non-tender him was a no-brainer. If the Mets re-sign him, it figures to be for no more than half of the $5,687,500 he made this year.
Torres hit .230/.327/.337 with three homers and 13 steals in 374 at-bats in his first season for the Mets after coming over from the Giants along with reliever Ramon Ramirez in exchange for fellow center fielder Angel Pagan last winter. He made $2.7 million this year and likely would be due for a small raise in arbitration, so a move to non-tender is very likely. He’ll probably be viewed as a fourth outfielder going forward, and something closer to $1.5 million-$2 million is more appropriate for what he brings to the table.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)