Quote of the Day: Lance Berkman on danger

Oct 22, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

lance berkman ap AP

As in, he still thinks the Cardinals have the most dangerous lineup for Game 7 even without Matt Holliday playing:

“We’ve won all year without me, and without Pujols,” Berkman said Sunday, after the Cardinals’ 6-1 loss in Game 6. “I’ll probably get roasted for saying this, but you take a guy like Matt out of our lineup, we’re still more dangerous [than the Giants].

“No disrespect, I still like our lineup better.”

Cardinals runs scored so far: 19. Giants: 26. Cardinals LCS batting line: .219/.267/.327, Giants LCS batting line: .241/.303/.329.

Maybe the Cardinals are theoretically more dangerous than the Giants are, but they haven’t been this series. Neither team has really.

1. lewp - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Lots of folks here in Texas like Lance Berkman, I guess because of his Houston connection, but I’m not one of them.

He seems like he plays, and talks, when it’s most convenient to him.

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Suggesting pretty strongly to me that you don’t know much about Lance Berkman. Go check his career stats.

2. stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:29 AM

That’s because playoffs are about the quality of your top four pitchers. There is no question about who has the stronger overall hitting lineup. But the Giants’ pitchers have stepped up.

3. bleed4philly - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

The giants are going to pull this off with their ace in the tank. One lucky team just ran into a luckier one. As much as I would’ve liked to see the Nats in it, figures you can’t shut down your ace and expect luck to carry you through the postseason.

• Old Gator - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Are we going to drag this nonsensical argument out again? Strassburg wouldn’t have been on the mound when Drew Storen choked in any circumstances, and most teams who have lost playoffs had aces on the mound but lost anyway. It’s a totally hypothetical and otherwise pointless observation.

4. kiwicricket - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM

The broadcast had some figure about when the Card’s lost, they were something like 0-24 with RISP. Pretty incredible. Boom or bust as far as the lineup goes.

5. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

At least he didn’t say “Anyone who thinks we can’t win without Matt Holliday can kiss my press pass”

6. willclarkgameface - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Berkman looks fat and ready for the Early Bird AARP special in that photo.

I like the Giants tonight.

7. nogoodtomedead - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Yeah- he’s probably right- the St. Louis lineup does look better on paper. So did the Phillies and Rangers lineups in 2010. He’s always hated San Francisco- I remember a few years ago when he was a free agent he said he would never sign with SF because he hated the politics of the city. What a redneck. Go Giants.

• nogoodtomedead - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

And one more thing- I don’t know how much I believe in the notion of “bulletin board material”- and frankly if you aren’t already fired up for a Game 7 then something is wrong- but why would a guy who has played no part in this series and isn’t going to be around to help in game 7 even open his mouth like this?

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Something nefarious like being asked a question by a reporter who is looking to file a story, I am sure.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Because when someone asks Lance Berkman a question he gives his honest answer.
        The dude is the opposite of “cookie cutter.”
        It’s why reporters seek him out. They ask…he answers.
        I happen to think it’s refreshing with today’s “p.c. correct…cookie cutter” mentality.

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Not just rednecks from Texas. Plenty of Hollywood liberal whackos would sooner vomit over themselves than put on that Giants jersey.

You’re right! Generalities are fun!

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I wouldn’t take it too personally. He’s a real Texas homeboy. It pretty much took a crowbar to get him to play anywhere else, including even the Cards.

He’s a well-liked guy, but yeah, redneck isn’t too far off.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Absolutely Suzie. The funny part is a lot of these tools have no idea that a “redneck” isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s like they automatically assume it has negative conotations.
        Of course…”when you never the leave the half pipe dude…it’s hard to think outside the box dude.”
        I mean…”ride the waves man. They are narly…dude.” Then…let’s put on our hemp made flip flops and skate on down to the pro shop…dude. Ride on…toke up…it’s narly.
        Yeah…stereotypes are great!

8. materialman80 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Sure wish Lance was healthy and in the lineup tonight.

9. onehokiefan - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Blah, Blah, Blah…….thats all Berkman does…..fatboy talkin smack. Well now his Cards, who are so bada** can join him.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2972)