Oct 22, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
No strangers to the unconventional, the Rockies announced today that they have hired Mark Wiley for their newly-created position of director of pitching operations.
Wiley worked as a scout with the Marlins this year and has previously served as pitching coach with the Orioles, Indians, Marlins and Royals. He’s had two previous stints with the Rockies, first as senior director of player personnel in 2000 and as a special baseball operations assistant from November 2005 through 2007.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post notes that Wiley will oversee pitching throughout the organization in his new position and will also have significant input on who the Rockies hire as their next pitching coach.
Pitching has always been an issue at Coors Field and it was especially problematic this year, as the Rockies ranked last in the majors in both team ERA (5.22) and rotation ERA (5.81). The club implemented a four-man rotation in mid-June and limited their starters to around 75 pitches, but they are expected to return to a more traditional five-man rotation next season.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1