The Blue Jays are looking to trade Yunel Escobar

Oct 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Yunel Escobar eye black

Jon Heyman reports that the Blue Jays are looking to trade shortstop Yunel Escobar this winter.

Between him being basically run out of Atlanta a couple of years ago due the perception that he wasn’t a team player, that business with the eyeblack late this season, the fact that he makes $5 million next year and — most importantly — the fact that he’s coming off a bad season in which he hit .253/.300/.344, it’s gonna be a tall order to get any kind of value for him.

He’s a better player than that, typically, so one would think that the best bet would be to enter 2013 with him, hope he returns to usual form and, if the Jays don’t contend, try to deal him then.

1. ericellers - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

He’s a dangerous player for any squad. Needs to be fine tuned and needs a mentor to boot. Kid looks as though he could really play some ball if he can stop the bs and learn to be a better base runner? The marlins could be a good fit if they moved things around a bit?

• pmcenroe - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Considering he has almost 6 years of MLB service time, and is about to be 30, I think he is past “needs a mentor”.

Not really sure how he would fit with the Marlins, his value comes from being a SS and they already have a pretty good one.

• Old Gator - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Well, the Feesh could always use him at third base. Since they traded away Mike Lowell, they have proved that they could always use anyone at third base.

Except a third baseman, I mean.

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Speaking of which, it was a short tryout at Houston but Dominguez looked pretty good. A lot of people were up in arms about trading Chris Johnson, but I think they sold high on a marginal MLB player. Dominguez getting hot in the last month took some of the pain away. I hope he pays off over the course of a year, but I know you were doubtful.

I assume Carlos Lee walks after his poor finish? Too bad. I thought he had another possible year at first with a reduced contract. Although the power is just about nil anymore.

• Old Gator - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I don’t know that the Feesh have any better options for a first baseman/pinch hitter than Lee, but even though he made quite a bit of noise during September about wanting to come back, those last three weeks might have sunk his chances anyway. The Macondo Feeshwrapper and other local rags have been casually projecting that Tweeter will be at first base next season, which is about as appetizing a prospect as being nursed back from a stomach virus with a platter of surströmming.

2. ericellers - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Oh yeah I almost forgot…FIRST!!!!!!

• zzalapski - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

So?

3. bloodysock - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM

And the fact the Blue Jays just traded their manager for Mike Aviles….

4. js20011041 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I wouldn’t want him on my team. If you’re going to be a dickwad, you damn well better perform like Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens. Also, I lost whatever respect I had for him a couple of years ago when he faked getting hit in the head against the Phillies. It’s one thing when the umpire gives you a free base. I don’t think anyone would expect him to speak up and admit that the ball hit his bat, but to lay on the ground and pretend to be dazed and concussed when the ball didn’t hit him, give me a fucking break. I can’t ever root for a player after pulling a stunt like that.

5. deathmonkey41 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Yunel thinks the Blue Jays trying to trade him is really gay.

6. proudlycanadian - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM

The Jays never leak anything to anyone, so they are not the source of this story. Certainly, he could be traded if it would help the team. The Jays do have a MLB ready replacement in Hechavarria. Still. the Jays could go with a middle infield combo of Escobar, Hechavarria and Aviles.

7. ericellers - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

He’s 30 huh? Thought he was early 20’s with all the antics? As I said thought he’d be a good fit there cause its a large Spanish American community and I wrote they’d have to move things around a bit. He may add value elsewhere as we’ll?

8. tfbuckfutter - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Safe to say San Francisco won’t be in on this one?

9. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I’m a long way from believing the deal was some sort of coup for the Braves, but I can remember a time not so long ago when a lot of people were saying Alex Anthopoulos absolutely fleeced Atlanta in the Alex Gonzalez trade.

Looking back on it, I think it’s pretty fair to say it was a wash.

• gogigantos - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Giants have a very very good young man at short right now and into the future, thanks.

10. gogigantos - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Was at a BBQ this weekend chatting with a buddy from Toronto. He asked me what I thought of this Escobar. Couldn’t stop laughing. He thought I didn’t know what stunt he had pulled. I explained that the stunt was the Bravos happily unloading this asshat on his team and all in Canada being surprised that he had offended such a valued minority group of humans.
    This dude is a clown, an ass clown himself in all likelihood. The one that protests the most and loudest is often the one who harbors the same sin. This kid is not long for the big leagues.
    I told my buddy that Toronto got took and that this kid will be soon out of the league. Nobody wants him around.
    Stick with him until he fails in Toronto, he is done soon.
    Bye bye turd

11. gogigantos - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM

How does a team, the manager or his teammates allow this turd to take the field like that unless no one is paying attention or really doesn’t like him enough to let him make such a clown of himself? Nobody noticed, really? Speaks poorly of the player, the team, and the management all around. Things were very wrong there, and that is the guy the Red Sox traded for to be their manager? Nice, very nice.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM

In Boston his eye black translates to “Yah a buncha queeahs!”

12. blacksables - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Escobar played for the Braves. Rumor has it that Dayton Moore has already approached the Blue Jays about trading ss-playing Escobars for each other, as well as Moore offering the entire team minus Jeff Franceour.

It’s good to know that as long Moore roams the earth, a former Brave will never go without 500 plate appearances.

13. jaybird22seven - Oct 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM

He won’t like playing in Miami, there are to many gay people there !!! This guy is an idiot !!!

A managerial overanalysis epidemic