Oct 22, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Three weeks ago the Twins fired or reassigned all but one member of Ron Gardenhire’s coaching staff, which was a huge change for an organization that had fired a grand total of one coach during the previous decade.
Today the Twins announced the new coaching staff and it includes two of the “reassigned” coaches simply switching jobs.
First, the new guys: Tom Brunansky is the new hitting coach, Bobby Cuellar is the new bullpen coach, and Terry Steinbach is the new bench/catching coach. Brunansky and Cuellar were the hitting and pitching coaches at Triple-A and Steinbach is a native Minnesotan who finished his career with the Twins.
And now the reassigned guys: Joe Vavra, who was the hitting coach, is now the third base coach. Scott Ullger, who was the bench coach, is now the first base coach. Prior to being moved to bench coach Ullger previously had stints as the Twins’ hitting coach and third base coach, so he’s basically filled every possible role at this point.
It’s not often you see a hitting coach and a bench coach demoted to base coaches, but it fits with the Twins’ overall reluctance to make sweeping changes. Even when they shake things up they still can’t quite say goodbye to longtime staffers and in the end first base coach Jerry White, third base coach Steve Liddle, and bullpen coach Rick Stelmaszek are the only members of the 2012 staff who won’t be on the 2013 staff.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)