Oct 22, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Three weeks ago the Twins fired or reassigned all but one member of Ron Gardenhire’s coaching staff, which was a huge change for an organization that had fired a grand total of one coach during the previous decade.
Today the Twins announced the new coaching staff and it includes two of the “reassigned” coaches simply switching jobs.
First, the new guys: Tom Brunansky is the new hitting coach, Bobby Cuellar is the new bullpen coach, and Terry Steinbach is the new bench/catching coach. Brunansky and Cuellar were the hitting and pitching coaches at Triple-A and Steinbach is a native Minnesotan who finished his career with the Twins.
And now the reassigned guys: Joe Vavra, who was the hitting coach, is now the third base coach. Scott Ullger, who was the bench coach, is now the first base coach. Prior to being moved to bench coach Ullger previously had stints as the Twins’ hitting coach and third base coach, so he’s basically filled every possible role at this point.
It’s not often you see a hitting coach and a bench coach demoted to base coaches, but it fits with the Twins’ overall reluctance to make sweeping changes. Even when they shake things up they still can’t quite say goodbye to longtime staffers and in the end first base coach Jerry White, third base coach Steve Liddle, and bullpen coach Rick Stelmaszek are the only members of the 2012 staff who won’t be on the 2013 staff.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 97
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39